*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk1 diff oil seal and crush washer

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

mk1 diff oil seal and crush washer

Postby ventadorn » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi I would like to change the diff oil seal on my 1974 twin wheel pickup,(6 stud rear loading diff) do they use a crush spacer as don't want to dismantle it without knowing if I can get this part. If so anyone know where I can buy the oil seal and crush spacer? cheers
ventadorn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk1 diff oil seal and crush washer

Postby dumper » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm

What I’ve done when changing a diff seal if their no play in the bearings is on the end of the pinion threads put a pop mark on it and a pop mark on the nut and also on the flange all in a line so the flange goes back on the same splines it came off and then as you undo the nut count the turns then when you put it all back together count the turns and line up the pop marks that way you have the same pre load on the bearings in the past if I’ve had play in the bearings I have I have just nipped them up a bit more to take up the play and not had any problems afterwards.

To set the pre load up correctly you have to remove the crown wheel and diff unit and set the pre load to a set turning force in the ford manual it says you do it without the seal in and then when you have it set right you remove the flange fit the seal and refit the flange and tighten it back to the same position that you set the pre load at that’s why I use the pop marks to get it back in the correct setting also if when you are setting the preload and over tighten it you need to start again with a new collapsible sleeve
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ventadorn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:40 pm

dumper wrote:What I’ve done when changing a diff seal if their no play in the bearings is on the end of the pinion threads put a pop mark on it and a pop mark on the nut and also on the flange all in a line so the flange goes back on the same splines it came off and then as you undo the nut count the turns then when you put it all back together count the turns and line up the pop marks that way you have the same pre load on the bearings in the past if I’ve had play in the bearings I have I have just nipped them up a bit more to take up the play and not had any problems afterwards.

To set the pre load up correctly you have to remove the crown wheel and diff unit and set the pre load to a set turning force in the ford manual it says you do it without the seal in and then when you have it set right you remove the flange fit the seal and refit the flange and tighten it back to the same position that you set the pre load at that’s why I use the pop marks to get it back in the correct setting also if when you are setting the preload and over tighten it you need to start again with a new collapsible sleeve

Many thanks for that, so I can get away without a new crush spacer as long as I mark the whole lot up accurately and count the turns. Yes I read up the bit about setting up pre-load from scratch in the manual but it's not really a diy jobbie :D
ventadorn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:58 pm

ventadorn wrote:
dumper wrote:What I’ve done when changing a diff seal if their no play in the bearings is on the end of the pinion threads put a pop mark on it and a pop mark on the nut and also on the flange all in a line so the flange goes back on the same splines it came off and then as you undo the nut count the turns then when you put it all back together count the turns and line up the pop marks that way you have the same pre load on the bearings in the past if I’ve had play in the bearings I have I have just nipped them up a bit more to take up the play and not had any problems afterwards.

Many thanks for that, so I can get away without a new crush spacer as long as I mark the whole lot up accurately and count the turns. Yes I read up the bit about setting up pre-load from scratch in the manual but it's not really a diy jobbie :D

Yes done it many times even done it this way when swapping the drive flange over on new and old diffs not by the book but works ok never had the bearings fail afterwards allways done mega miles
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:08 pm

When you pop the old seal out put it on the flange and then put the new one on the correct way round push the flange back on the pinion and tighten the nut up ,remove the flange again and the old seal and refit the flange :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:37 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:When you pop the old seal out put it on the flange and then put the new one on the correct way round push the flange back on the pinion and tighten the nut up ,remove the flange again and the old seal and refit the flange :wink:

Good idea that
Past camper vans
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 1 & 2