*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK2 2.4D York Diesel pump leak. Help!

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

MK2 2.4D York Diesel pump leak. Help!

Postby Frollo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:15 am

Hello, to whoever has the knowledge to answer this question:

I recently found the leak that is causing low diesel pressure and diesel smell in my MK2 transit with a 2.4D York engine, and its located somewhere around the diesel pump that is mounted to the engine.

When i crank the engine over it takes about 5-10 seconds for the diesel to reach the engine and after that it runs okay, but it wont idle in the first 2 minutes, so i have to help it along. After a good 5 minutes it appears to act normal, and if i turn off the engine and back on it cranks immediately. It´s a clear leak from the pump itself, with a droplet every 5-10 seconds.

Does this need to be replaced, or is there a fix to this problem? I can provide pictures if needed.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK2 2.4D York Diesel pump leak. Help!

Postby AussieXLT125 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 am

Some photos may help diagnose the leak.

Not knowing the engine in question, I’m don’t know if there are any common issues with this particular pump.

It could simply be a loose pipe, or a damaged pipe or fitting.

There could be a seal or ‘o’ ring that has perished.

If the engine runs fine wince it has started, it sounds like it’s something relatively small. And the whole pump doesn’t need replacing.

Hopefully someone that owns/owned / has a good knowledge of one of these engines can better guide you in the right direction.
AussieXLT125

Postby Frollo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 am

AussieXLT125 wrote:Some photos may help diagnose the leak.

Not knowing the engine in question, I’m don’t know if there are any common issues with this particular pump.

It could simply be a loose pipe, or a damaged pipe or fitting.

There could be a seal or ‘o’ ring that has perished.

If the engine runs fine wince it has started, it sounds like it’s something relatively small. And the whole pump doesn’t need replacing.

Hopefully someone that owns/owned / has a good knowledge of one of these engines can better guide you in the right direction.

I have little to no knowledge myself, but the leak is coming from one of the bolts that holds the pump in place. Would it be an alright solution if i unscrewed the bolt and used some thread locker on it? The leak doesnt seem to be affecting the pump itself, but its definitely not getting enough diesel.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Neil » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:15 pm

ebay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274060715225 all the knowledge is in that bargain
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 1 & 2