*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK1 power upgrade

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

MK1 power upgrade

Postby oscar_nivoro » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 am

Hi there!

I have just bought a MK1 130 (65hp) which use to be a fireman’s truck. The year is 1974. I don’t know a lot about mechanics but I would like to know, since it’s gasoline, if putting a gas tank would be posible.

Also, the engine runs but it has not enough power and the gearbox has four speeds. Do you guys know whether it is possible to change the engine so it’s still street legal and if so what other model could it be changed with so it has some more hp?

I live in Germany and here is a pic from the beauty just in case that helps.

Cheers!
Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oscar_nivoro

Re: MK1 power upgrade

Postby AussieXLT125 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:09 am

Here in Australia, we got 3.3L and 4.1L in-line 6. In the mk2 onwards (‘bullnose’?) We call them here.

I may be corrected here but I’m pretty sure, Any of the engine options available in the UK up to the 1984 mk2 should bolt straight in, with the matching engine mounts etc. from the van the engine comes from.
AussieXLT125

Postby dumper » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:24 am

AussieXLT125 wrote:Here in Australia, we got 3.3L and 4.1L in-line 6. In the mk2 onwards (‘bullnose’?) We call them here.

I may be corrected here but I’m pretty sure, Any of the engine options available in the UK up to the 1984 mk2 should bolt straight in, with the matching engine mounts etc. from the van the engine comes from.

Yes but it will need the diesel front end I did replace a v4 with a 2 L pinto this was an early model with the rear of the gear box mounting a single bolt I made my own n/s engine mounting I used a diesel front panel bonnet and radiator I got away without cutting the front crossmember off and fitting a diesel one it worked with the flat front crossmember and bumper it would have looked better if I’d change the crossmember and bumper as well but the crossmember on donor van was rotten
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oscar_nivoro » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks guys!

If I could change the engine with a mk2 engine that would be fantastic! I would nevertheless like to have gasoline instead of diesel since we cannot drive diesel in Germany. Does the gear box from the mk2 also work for this MK1?

And as said, the easier, the better since I’m no mechanic and things can get very complicated very fast in this forum since all of you guys know so much about mechanics and engines.

Thanks!!!!!
Oscar

oscar_nivoro

Postby dumper » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:18 pm

The gearbox has one or two different rear mountings mine was mounted with one bolt that went through a bush in the tail shaft of the gearbox it was a 1972 reg I know the last of the mk1 s had a crossmember under the box and was mounted under the box and had 3 bush and spacer and the bolt went through them and screw into the chassis each side on the mk2 it had a similar crossmember but the side mounting was different two bolts each side held a bracket with a bonded rubber block that the middle bolt secured the crossmember to the side mount I removed we changed a lot of the side mounting because they came unbounded
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby hetman » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:37 pm

oscar_nivoro wrote:Thanks guys!

If I could change the engine with a mk2 engine that would be fantastic! I would nevertheless like to have gasoline instead of diesel since we cannot drive diesel in Germany. Does the gear box from the mk2 also work for this MK1?

And as said, the easier, the better since I’m no mechanic and things can get very complicated very fast in this forum since all of you guys know so much about mechanics and engines.

Thanks!!!!!
Oscar

Oscar, your van is beautiful: my favorite of all 1st generation Transits. I like the dual-wheel rear axle. This type of van just looks perfect to me!

I would like to ask you about your statement that "we cannot drive diesel in Germany". Please explain. No diesel engines are legal anymore in Germany? Or for your Mk1 Transit it's not legal to put one in there? Does it have a historical license plate (H Kennzeichen)? If so, I can believe that you're not going to be allowed to switch from a gasoline to diesel engine, but I thought that engine swaps and other modifications are possible on vehicles as long as TUV approves them. I"d love to know what's going on that diesels are not allowed.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2