*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Perkins dilemma...

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Perkins dilemma...

Postby Neil » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:14 am

could that be the only breadvan left ??? wants restoring along with its perkins automatic
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tranorak » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:31 am

Neil wrote:could that be the only breadvan left ??? wants restoring along with its perkins automatic

Very likely you’re right Neil. It’s a piece of history alright but even here in Exeter, it’s hometown where it was built I had nothing but hostility aimed at it, notes left under the wiper demanding I don’t park in their neighbourhood. Eventually the van got attacked, mirrors and lights smashed, Perspex side window busted and a brick left on the bonnet with orange dust showing where where they’d tried but failed to smash the windscreen. A fresh note under the wiper was super aggressive so I showed it to the cops who said there was “no evidential connection”.
Anyway, the point I’m making is it’s a magnet for antisocial behaviour (even with a fresh paint job at the time) so for it’s own safety it should become a cute pickup.
This was all about 15 years ago. At the time a friend said to paint it Securicor blue for film work. Hmmm
I’d say attitudes changed about 5 years ago when I noticed people seeing it in my shed wouldn’t laugh at the ugliness, they’d say it was cool.

Btw it came with a second bread van if I wanted it, or the scrap man gets it. That one I’d definitely save now but at the time looked way too rusty to bother with. It was L reg and weird shape being a normal transit pickup cab with coachbuilt box body behind extending forward on the driver side for a coachbuilt sliding drivers door same as my red one. Had a lopsided Borg look to it. That van was fully derelict with Major rust. I did a deal with a scrap dealing buddy who took it up to his yard for me to salvage bits off if he got the rest to weigh in. I got a decent bonnet, wings, etc but he wanted the axles as weight because the lightweight ali and fibreglass body had no value. Ah happy days :?

That’s probably far enough down memory lane for one day...
tranorak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Adam mk1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:41 pm

I can forgive an engine and box change, if it makes it more reliable and better to drive, ive got an old land rover series 2 and put a v8 in that, people have said to me can you stop parking that THING outside my house and that is from popping round to see friends and his neighbours have said that, and at the time it had nice paint not muddy etc, just for an hr or so, if a big van is parked blocking light and view for weeks people get twitchy, but if its outsude your own home bollocks to them, i had problems over the road with the land rover, he hated it, calling council any tiny thing hed be taking pictures etc he was only in his 40s at the time, i told him ive owned it since i was 19 its not some silly faze, and im not selling it, also said look up Bedford RL because that's what im buying next and im going to park right there, and i did buy an RL, anyway he moved 5 years ago and the land rover is still here.
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tranorak » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 am

Bedford RL! Lovely things. There was a gang of red RLs working on the docks west of Brighton in the 1980s. :D
tranorak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Adam mk1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:04 am

On my broken phone i have pics of it mine was army GS model with canvass hole in cab roof should of kept sold it 3 or 4 years ago and of course being the R model 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel drives are called S type
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tranorak » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:46 am

I knew an English guy (hippy) who lived in one in Portugal. It had bad rust in the cab and he’d found a brand new cab in a crate at an army surplus yard, bought it of course, as you would. He didn’t like the turret hole in the roof and wanted to weld on his civilian solid roof. I’m not a fan of sunroofs either myself, they always leek :lol:
tranorak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Adam mk1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:48 pm

The turret was why i wanted it even got one on my land rover
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Adam mk1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 pm

IMG_20200216_165033.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:30 pm

they are a nice old classic but also the most uncomfortable vehicle ive been in bar none
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Adam mk1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm

If you know the roads well you can lean forward before the bumps, an old land rover if you've never been in one, is an experience cold, noisy, thirsty, uncomfortable, hard work to drive, but great fun, and British (we dont do jap crap)
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Adam mk1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Sorry tranorak, we're gate crashing your post, its a bit like the two Ronnie's i digress haha
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:27 am

Adam mk1 wrote:If you know the roads well you can lean forward before the bumps, an old land rover if you've never been in one, is an experience cold, noisy, thirsty, uncomfortable, hard work to drive, but great fun, and British (we dont do jap crap)

yep spot on :lol[: exept for the jap crap] nowadays they are pretty good
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2