*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pinto in a flat front Mk1?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Pinto in a flat front Mk1?

Postby tranorak » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Anyone out there jammed a Pinto in a Mk1 with the flat front? The Mk1 I’m thinking about has the late ‘dished’ bulkhead like a Mk2 so it seems possible if it’s set as far back as possible till almost touching the bulkhead and the rad is squeezed in somehow. I don’t want a diesel nose, prefer to keep it flat 8)
So who’s already done it and what mods had to be done etc? Do you wish you’d stuck with the V4 or wot? Pinto must be better than V4 no?
What’s the story guys?
tranorak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Pinto in a flat front Mk1?

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:24 pm

yes it has been done as ive seen pics not sure if bulk head mods were done tho?? but it was a squeeze and i dont think the fan fitted

a zetec will fit a lot easier as its shorter but needs bespoke parts

i prefer the flat front and on mine ive fitted a vw 1.9tdi without any bulkhead mods (and mine is the early bulkhead)
Luke
Site Admin

Postby tranorak » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 pm

VW 1.9 tdi eh? Interesting. I don’t know those engines at all. Are they rear wheel drive? Any pics? I’m intrigued. I’m only thinking Pinto cuz there’s one here in a Mk2 and it runs :lol:
tranorak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Adam mk1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 am

Think its been done with slimline radiator but its a van and needs good cooling, im sure you've seen my project turbo diesel automatic in an early flat front had to cut a big chunk out of bulkhead making engine mounts at moment page 28
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dumper » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:48 am

Yes I did it on a mk1 v4 I rebuilt a 2.0 l to use the gearbox type on it was the type that at the rear was suspended by one bolt at the top I got transit engine mounts but had to modify the near side to locate the engine in the bay .
But to fit the radiator I had to fit a bullnose front panel and bonnet to fit a York or it may have been a di radiator I must have used a mix of hose off the diesel and petrol engine and the header tank and a standard non viscous fan.
I didn’t fit the bullnose front Xmember it still used the flat front bumper so Standard apart from the bullnose front panel the bottom pulley and the front of the sump cleared the front Xmember without modification at the time I was lucky has we had vans at work to rob bits off originally I was going to cut the front off a bullnose and weld it on to the flat front and make a proper one but as it worked without I didn’t bother
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Adam mk1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 pm

He doesn't want bull nose, he wants it flat front with a pinto
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Adam mk1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Even with chunk cut out of my bulkhead i couldn't lift engine through the front not enough room, so had to drop axle out, then the problem was engine crane is over top of engine and you cant lift it we're you want because crane will hit bulkhead, so put engine and box on trolley and lowered van to engine with my engine crane, it's been up and down dozen times or more, every time mock rad front panel measure etc, lift van then push engine back, cut weld, then you leave job forget we're you got to and have to retrace your steps, so start from what radiator your going to use and work backwards, think the best way is to just cut the bulkhead have the correct fan and radiator with flat front, make your mounts, shortened prop and exhaust, there was someone that did fit with flat front but had a corsa rad or something and its going to be a van that wont cope being used as a van and your be watching the temperature gauge like a hawk, loaded, towing, traffic, hot day, it will boil up
Adam mk1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:12 pm

Luke
Site Admin

Return to Mk 1 & 2