*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby peterson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi there,

I just bought a transit MK2 from 1981 and while I found the VIN without a problem (it is in the car's papers, the vehicle identification plate as well as stamped on the left of the engine compartment) I cannot make sure I really got the engine number right.

I found a few places on the internet that give you instructions where to find your engine number, but for now I got two separated identifiers, and they don't check out perfectly with the information I have.

I found the numbers on the bottom, front part of the block engine, on the left of the vehicle, about 15-20cm below the exhaust manifold.

To be completely clear, their formatting is where I am at loss. I expected something like:

Code: Select all
GA 53 KJ 49586


while I got something like (numbers and letters modified with different numbers or letters respectively)

1st identifier (above):
Code: Select all
4 G A
6G 1S


2nd identifier (below):
Code: Select all
G T
2 86 53


NB: The last line of the 2nd identifier isn't perfectly aligned, it looks like it was typed with a very old typewriter.

So, does anyone have a clue about what those information could be?

Thanks a lot!
peterson
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: All over mainland Europe

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby peterson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:25 pm

So, the first line of the first identifier seems to be the motor code. But I still do not know what to do of the rest of the information. Any help greatly appreciated :)
peterson
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: All over mainland Europe

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am

The engine number is 2 letters, followed by 5 numbers. If its the original engine, its the last 7 digits of the VIN.

If its not an original engine, the first 2 letters can be used to date it - https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guid ... dates.html
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby peterson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:48 pm

MinorMatt wrote:The engine number is 2 letters, followed by 5 numbers. If its the original engine, its the last 7 digits of the VIN.

If its not an original engine, the first 2 letters can be used to date it - https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guid ... dates.html


That is great information, thank you!

Unfortunately the engine seems to be a replacement one, as it does not match the end of the VIN. What is curious is that the engine seems to exactly be the same model as the original one (4AA). I wonder why it was replaced, then.

I still don't know what to make of the second line of the first identifier. It's really hard to read and goes like "2C 3C" or something. Would you maybe happen to know what that could be?

Thanks a million!
peterson
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: All over mainland Europe

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Can you show a photo of what you have?

If its a factory replacement engine - they didn't have a number at all.

Do you actually need the engine number? Whats written on the logbook?
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby peterson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm

Here is the thing
5faa8851-f54a-45a6-b2b9-32104f8a9633.jpg


As for the logbook, I just moved and it still is in one of the boxes, so that'll have to wait (I suspect nothing is on there, as I would have noticed when I got that vehicle as I had a glance at it).

The engine DOES have a number, so it must be an engine salvaged from another vehicle then. I wonder if it is possible to conduct a VIN search with only the end of it (e.g. the engine number).

Oh and I do not need to know exactly what those numbers are, I got the engine number already and that's plenty; but I would really appreciate knowing what this information is. The more I know about this vehicle, the better I can restore it.

Thanks again for all your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterson
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: All over mainland Europe

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:42 pm

I'm sorry to bump this, but I could really use some pointers, even mere guesses... I am contemplating calling Ford-Werke AG, in Kölnz as they might have records of the vehicles (my recently acquired ride and its engine original donor) as well as knowing the meaning of the writings I uncovered.

Since the writings I'm wondering about are grouped with the motor code, I am suspecting some kind of factory identifier, but I am at loss as to what means what.

If anyone has contacts who worked at Ford Werke AG in Köln, that would be really helpful.
peterson
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: All over mainland Europe

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby Neil » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:02 pm

why do you need it ?
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 5984
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 5:09 pm
Location: Preston

Re: Engine number, MK2 2.4L Diesel, York.

Postby peterson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 pm

Because it is on the engine, and therefore it has a meaning, and could even be important. As I said, I am in the process of restoring the vehicle, any information helps.
peterson
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm
Location: All over mainland Europe


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.