*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

V4 problems

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

V4 problems

Postby Mk1-nightmare » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 pm

Hello everyone
It’s possible this might have been covered before but I can’t find anything so I’m hoping some of you experts might be able to assist me
I have a V4 Which was running fairly good until I had to change the inlet manifold Gasket
As you will know it’s not the easiest of jobs as you need to strip a few things away
I needed to remove the distributor to assist me to get the manifold off
On re build I fitted the distributor according to the manual
I managed to get the engine started and set the timing as best I could (that might be another post later As I have had trouble setting the timing within the range of mechanical adjustment available )
The engine runs until it gets hot and then just stops. It’s very difficult to get it re started and I normally flatten the battery
When it’s cold I can normally get it started
It does this all the time so I can’t trust it to go out on the road

Do any of you know what the cause could be
My only thoughts are the coil is breaking down when the engine gets hot

Please help if you can
Thank you
Mk1-nightmare

Re: V4 problems

Postby ha7wall » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:44 am

hello mate
re the ignition timing, need to remove distributor and move the cog one tooth over, so, whatever direction you turn to try and reach timing, move the cog back one/forward one...hope that makes sense.
with the cutting out/non start...quickest way to find problem... need to know if its a fuel or ignition problem
run it up till it cuts out...remove the dizzy cap, have someone turn the engine over and make sure you have decent spark at the points...if not then replace points/condenser, check the wiring to them...
if you have decent spark, then replace the cap, check for spark at one of the spark plug end of ht leads...if no spark, remove ht coil lead from dizzy, check for spark there...if not then possibly coil or its low tension wiring.
if its been converted to electronic ignition, then just check for spark at plugs ht leads. if no spark then will have to think on what to test from there..been a while since dealt with problems on early ignition systems and forgotten how atm.

if all good, still no start...then move on to fuel....easiest way to check, is squirt a small amount of petrol via a syringe for eg, into carb venturi... beware carb can backfire a flame when you do this, so keep hands/head away etc , but see if engine fires briefly, or attempts to...yes, then fuel supply problem..
if this has the glass bowl fuel pump, then check it is filling with fuel...think they had a hand pump attatched so you could prime it and try again..if no fuel still, then check the supply hose for tightness/splits in pipe et and filter, if one fitted
also had a known issue with fuel evaporating when hot in the pipe from pump to carb...cant remember the fix for this, but could just pump the fuel via the pump lever to refill carb fuel chamber just to confirm.
could also just remove the carb, strip/clean it and get hold of a rebuild kit...could be a bad needle valve/punctured float, split diaphragm or gasket..

few things to get you started
ha7wall

Postby dumper » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:05 pm

The coil is 9volt so when you turn it over on the key you get a direct feed of 12 volt that is dropping to somewhere near 9 volts when key is released the ignition feed goes through a voltage dropper so coil gets 9 volt supply had them burn out it will be a little box on the bulk head with two terminals on the bulkhead or inner wing
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mk1-nightmare » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to reply in such detail
It seems I have cured the issue by one of the recommendations, removing distributor and moving it round one cog. This has allowed me to set the timing better and for some reason it has enabled it to stay running
I would like to understand how it cured it but for now I’m just happy that it did resolve it

Thanks again for your help
Mk1-nightmare

Postby Chug » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:39 pm

The distributor timing was out so the spark plug was firing at the wrong time and the engine could just about catch when cold but not when hot.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mk1-nightmare » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Chuggy wrote:The distributor timing was out so the spark plug was firing at the wrong time and the engine could just about catch when cold but not when hot.

Thanks Chuggy. That makes sense. Cheers
Mk1-nightmare

Return to Mk 1 & 2