*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bigger brakes for my mk2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Bigger brakes for my mk2

Postby Frollo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:34 pm

Is there an easy way of upgrading the front brakes for my MK2 transit? Its a LWB panel van with the 6 bolt pattern.
All I´m getting when looking my model up on Autodoc(to give an example) are 5 bolt pattern discs.

Do i have to change the whole front axle to the 5 bolt pattern, or is there some keyword I´m missing here?

If you got questions on my car specifications, I will provide them gladly.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Bigger brakes for my mk2

Postby Ralph.9 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:49 am

Are yours solid or vented disc's? The best upgrade if their solid is the much larger 4 pot callipers from a MK3 minibus, they are the largest you can get inside a14 inch wheel.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:08 am

whats wrong with the brakes ?? are they drums or discs
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frollo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Ralph.9 wrote:Are yours solid or vented disc's? The best upgrade if their solid is the much larger 4 pot callipers from a MK3 minibus, they are the largest you can get inside a14 inch wheel.

I was told that my 270mm solid discs were inadequate for the 174whp my van now possesses. Does the MK3 calipers and discs bolt straight on, or do i need to swap the entire front axle. Note my wheels are the 6 bolt dually.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ralph.9 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:36 pm

You only need the callipers & yes they bolt straight on. I will try & find the part number you need to look for.
Ralph.9
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:00 pm

the brake discs are interchangeable between the 5 bolt and 6 bolt wheels, it is just the hub/bearing carrier that differs. There is only two options here, either solid or vented discs. You can unbolt your solid discs and swap in a pair of vented discs. You will then need the wider calipers to go over these. The 190 LWB Mk2 had this setup from factory, so if you can find a set of those, then great. I have one of these vans, and it stops really well, even with a Supercharged V6! ;)
Another option, is to use the CALIPERS from a Daf 400 or LDV Convoy van, on the Transit discs. Again, these had the option of solid or vented discs, and single pipe or twin pipe calipers, so you need to be careful that they match. They are a larger caliper than the Transit one, take a larger pad, and the pistons are larger at 44mm vs. 41(?) of the Transit, which gives a hydraulic advantage, but they will still clear the 14" wheels (I have tried these)
Yet another option is that a lot of Range Rovers and LandRover Discoveries had a 4 pot caliper which I believe will bolt on and clear a vented discs. (Pre 2000 models) But I have not verified that for myself.

vented Transit discs on 6 bolt hubs

164-6407_IMG.JPG

LDV Calipers

164-6408_IMG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frollo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:34 pm

This is great stuff guys!

It´s a question about getting EU approved with a larger engine. I think its a 190 LWB MK2 I have actually. I can´t check right now since ive shipped the car to paint. Does these calipers have the potential of taken the vented discs? I have not checked the clearance, and the gent that i bought the vehicle from gave me a set of replacement discs, which are solid 270s. Im not sure how to post a picture here...

Thanks again for the info. And i would love a part number!
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:23 am

190 LWB should have the vented discs with 4 pot calipers already. Put some decent pads (I fitted Mintex 1166 to mine) and they will be great.

If you have 4 pot calipers and solid discs, (which was an option on some vans too!) then the calipers can take a vented disc in theory, as they just have spacers fitted between the two caliper halves to make up the extra width. I say "in theory" because it will probably be impossible to buy these spacers on their own I suspect!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frollo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:28 am

conrod wrote:190 LWB should have the vented discs with 4 pot calipers already. Put some decent pads (I fitted Mintex 1166 to mine) and they will be great.

If you have 4 pot calipers and solid discs, (which was an option on some vans too!) then the calipers can take a vented disc in theory, as they just have spacers fitted between the two caliper halves to make up the extra width. I say "in theory" because it will probably be impossible to buy these spacers on their own I suspect!

Right. I suspect the 190 LWB is the one on your profile picture? I´m sorry im not fluent in the transit lingo, since this is the first one I´m trying to build. Do i understand you correctly by saying: If I remove the spacers, a 24mm disc will fit. I suspect that i am going to need a 280 disc to get the van approved. Do you have any links or part numbers to the parts I need? If not, i will have to google my way through.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby skerr3 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:58 am

Hi, you need to make you caliper wider by adding spacers, if you look at the photograph where I have marked with the arrows, you will see spacers inserted to make the two halves of the caliper wider.
The calipers mentioned as fitted to LDV convoy are also fitted to the Land Rover Defender, again be careful when sourcing parts are there are different variants, two piston or four piston, some single hose, some dual circuit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skerr3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frollo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:11 pm

skerr3 wrote:Hi, you need to make you caliper wider by adding spacers, if you look at the photograph where I have marked with the arrows, you will see spacers inserted to make the two halves of the caliper wider.
The calipers mentioned as fitted to LDV convoy are also fitted to the Land Rover Defender, again be careful when sourcing parts are there are different variants, two piston or four piston, some single hose, some dual circuit.

This was helpful. I could just look for a spacer on the caliper. The question still stands on how i would make the brakes bigger, aswell as wider. I might have to go as high as 300mm vented, but then the rim size will come into play, and as I have come to understand there is no other rims that would fit the bolt pattern on my transit.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frollo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:40 pm

conrod wrote:190 LWB should have the vented discs with 4 pot calipers already. Put some decent pads (I fitted Mintex 1166 to mine) and they will be great.

Do you know if i can swap the bolt hub for another and go for a bigger steel rim?
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:54 pm

Frollo wrote:Right. I suspect the 190 LWB is the one on your profile picture? I´m sorry im not fluent in the transit lingo, since this is the first one I´m trying to build. Do i understand you correctly by saying: If I remove the spacers, a 24mm disc will fit. I suspect that i am going to need a 280 disc to get the van approved. Do you have any links or part numbers to the parts I need? If not, i will have to google my way through.

yes the 190 LWB is the one in my profile pic. 190 just refers to the weight rating, it is the highest for a Mk2, and also means it has the biggest brakes that were available. When I say biggest, I should clarify. the brake discs were the same diameter as the solid discs. But they were vented (23 or 24mm?) and they also had the 4 pot caliper fitted. To go larger in disc diameter you will need a custom brake mounting bell made, custom brake caliper mounts, and larger wheels for clearance. Early Iveco 16" wheels are the same stud pattern, although if you go larger in overall wheel diameter you negate some of the benefits of going to a larger brake disc.

Can you get some clarification on what is required? ie. do they measure the braking force, or is it a dynamic test eg. stop from 100 km/h say 5 times and measure stopping distance? That might help you determine howmuch of an upgrade you require.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:49 pm

4 pot calipers is the upgrade if youve not got them now that should be plenty stopping power
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frollo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 am

Neil wrote:4 pot calipers is the upgrade if youve not got them now that should be plenty stopping power

I agree that should be plenty stopping power! This thing is rated to carry an extra 1600kg for goodness sake. I think the actual requirement by the norwegian traffic adm, is that you have the same diameter as the car you have pulled the engine from.
Frollo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2