*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk2 lhd to rhd conversion.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: mk2 lhd to rhd conversion.

Postby mk2 transit crew » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi All,

I have been away for a while and not much happened after stripping my transit, however the last few days I have welded on two new spring hangers, cross member, welded the wiper holes up, got the pedal box in.

Now the issues I have that I really would appreciate help with. appears as has been said before the bracket for the master is different for rhd, I thought I had got a rhd one but appears it is lhd. can someone confirm that there definitely is a different bracket for rhd and let me know if you have one for sale as I can't find one which is making me think it doesn't exist?

also if anyone could take a picture of a rhd bulkhead inner or outer so I can work out where the accelerator pedal should go as without pedals connected they are all over the place. Before anyone says I know it goes on the right side!!!!!
I will get some pictures up soon with the progress. hopefully will be working the rest of the week on it!!!

thank you in advance for any help given.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby oldskooler » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:52 pm

rhd servo bracket is deffo different..

and for getting the position of pedals and stuff correct , having a section from a rhd scrapper cut out is a lifesaver...you simply put it over the existing bulkhead and use it as a stencil to get all the holes in the right positions..
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mk2 transit crew » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:09 pm

Hi Oldscooler,

thankyou for confirming that, since buying mine the prices of scrappers have been silly, and finding someone who is cutting one up doesn't seem easy. im too far in now to buy one as i have 90 percent of the parts now!!!

guess i will have to keep hunting for the bracket! i will most likely get a new master cylinder anyway so the bracket is the important bit for now.

thankyou
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:46 am

theres a a mk 2 servo on ebay now
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:25 pm

Hi Neil,

unfortunately it appears to be lhd if its the one for £80. I bought my current one off him many months ago not realising that he is breaking lhd.

thank you
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:20 pm

sandblasted a few items today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:21 pm

front end welded
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:22 pm

another picture
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:23 pm

sandblasted this rusty area the other day, its not too bad but will be a bit tricky to cut out and replace so might leave this for now and concentrate on the welding to the rear frame.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:27 pm

mk2 transit crew wrote:Hi Neil,

unfortunately it appears to be lhd if its the one for £80. I bought my current one off him many months ago not realising that he is breaking lhd.

thank you
i think he breaks lhd and rhd it is 80 but i cant tell from the pic what hand it is
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:30 pm

mk2 transit crew wrote:sandblasted this rusty area the other day, its not too bad but will be a bit tricky to cut out and replace so might leave this for now and concentrate on the welding to the rear frame.

yes its not too bad central panals are selling the parts for the lower screen dont know how good they are
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mk2 transit crew » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 pm

yeah i see them this week, pretty expensive but might work out easier as it also has the holes for the wipers. for now i think im going to leave it till last. can make faster progress at the rear. hopefully have it fully sandblasted in a few months and then straight into paint.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:23 pm

Progress update, more pictures to follow.

i have got the front axle back on. new bushes, new rod ends, new bearings. only getting it rolling around, it all will be coming back off again for blasting and painting.

stripped all the rest of the wiring loom, brake lines, fuel lines etc. lucky i checked and i have been buying lots of parts, one of them is a new fuse box and wiring loom. also new engine wiring loom. It fits and is a right hand model.

Now i have it turned round in the garage and have started preparing for welding the rear frame.

mine like many has rusted where it is double plated. i have removed all the parts off the chassis rail as my plan is to cut out the rust. weld in new metal then to make sure its strong im looking to get some c sections made the full length of the rear chassis. Also my cross member has rusted through so that is now cut out waiting for me to make another one.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:24 pm

first cut out section of the chassis
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mk2 transit crew » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:25 pm

new plate ready to weld in once i have sandblasted this section hopefully tomorrow.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2