*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Paul my ‘73 MK1 German Firevan conversion

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Paul my ‘73 MK1 German Firevan conversion

Postby sirweste » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Good evening all,

Firstly thanks for the info on this forum that I’ve already put to use.

I’m starting a new thread here as I’d like to introduce Paul who is going to become the works vehicle of my family business (started my my grandad in the 60s and which I’ve just unexpectedly inherited off my dad). The idea was is that having a classic van will draw attention to the shop and hopefully get it back to the successful business it once was. I also love old vehicles so it’s a big perk for me!

858F312D-101F-445F-B9A4-202DFA82F6E7.jpeg

I’ve been a customer of Ralph who’s been very helpful and got me all the bits I need.

But. I’ve found myself stuck with the pedal box mounting position.
I have, rightly or wrongly, cut and drilled off the studs from the pedal box (PB) to make sure that I got it properly lined up with the bulkhead, as obviously the studs held it proud so there as a risk that I may drill the bulkhead mounting holes in the wrong place.
What I’ve found is that the box, when bolted up wit the hanging U bolt through the dash and steering column tabs, the PB is in excess of 15mm away from the bulkhead. I can force the PB closer by pushing it, but it rotates around the dash and flexes the dash, but the lower mounting point (next to the clutch) does then contact the bulkhead.

The interface between the column and the PB is different from the LDH PB too, I’m not sure this is a big influence though. The RHD one is rounded and forces the column lower than the flat LHD one.

So how do I figure out where it goes!? Should it be resting on the column at the lower end (near the bulkhead? It’s the dash mount which prevents it sliding further down and making contact with the bulkhead.

I spoke to Ralph earlier who said that on tbe MK2 he converted he spaced out the gap to the bulk head. But he was talking sub 10mm. And I don’t mind doing this I just don’t know where to drill at the moment!

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sirweste

Re: Paul my ‘73 MK1 German Firevan conversion

Postby Luke » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:08 pm

can't remember mine being that far out but mine is a 1970 with the earlier bulkhead i just lined it up with the column and the rest just fell into place. I took the studs out too to drill through then replaced with bolts
Luke
Site Admin

Postby sirweste » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:49 am

Hi Luke, cheers for the reply.

Yeah when Ralph said he’d had to space his out slightly he was talking about 6-8mm, but that was on a MK2. Seems the later MK1 is the pain to do.

‘Falling into place’ is the dream I was hoping for!! At the moment the only way it will fall into place is by not mounting the PB on the steering column hanging U bolt on the I.e. letting the PB slide down the column until it makes contact with the bulkhead. It’s far from ideal and would mean I’d need to drill and bolt a new mounting position in the dash.
Pictures of what I mean.
8CF83688-589C-4D97-AC2C-81A6DFD967B0.jpeg

400D791A-D02E-42CC-B5D5-8BA2AC556A96.jpeg

Someone else must have done a later MK1 RHD conversion, I’d love to know how they overcame this!!!

Cheers again for the reply
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sirweste

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 pm

just looked through my thread and i cut the steering column - i didn't remember doing that :? :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34477
some pics in there might help you
Luke
Site Admin

Postby sirweste » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:06 pm

Ah cheers pal. I’ve just looked through, cool build, you did a grand job.

I think I’ve settled on not mounting it on the hanging u bolt. Without it on that it sits really well against the bulkhead, perhaps needs one washer under a couple of the bolts to space it out, but it’s damn close.

I’m just about to measure up the steering box I have against the LHD one as I think it’s a different length and that is what’s been messing me up
sirweste

Postby sirweste » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Ok, my RHD pedal box is shorter than the LHD one
sirweste

Return to Mk 1 & 2