*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Parts list please.. brakes and ARBs

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Parts list please.. brakes and ARBs

Postby NogE » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:19 pm

After chatting with Conrod here I've decided to start collecting bits.....
Can people help me list what's needed for going disc on the front of my mk1 68 camper..
What calipers I need and their brackets..
What disc and pads
Bolts and fixings
Also...
ARBs.. front and rear.. there links and bushes
What mk van do they come from...
Any details and advise would be great..
NogE
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Parts list please.. brakes and ARBs

Postby NogE » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 pm

I'm at NEC this weekend....maybe lucky and find some bits there...I'll be chatting to the guy on the transit stand I'm sure.. :D
NogE
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 pm

just find a front axle off a mk 2 swb and swap it over
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NogE » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:05 am

Looks like I'll hv a task finding that....and rear arb off mk2 too yeah?
NogE
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DougT » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi Nog,

This was originally sent as a PM before you started this thread, but I found it stuck in my outbox.....

There are a number of threads that get around to the disc brake conversion so have a search. Conrad has written about it on a couple of threads.

But in a nutshell, it is (almost) impossble to get the individual parts to convert so you will need to buy a complete disc braked front axle ( as Neil said ) . Doesn't matter if it is RHD or LHD as you can transfer the parts that you need over to your existing axle or if RHD change the axle over.

Points to note:
You will be changing the hub over so it needs to be 5 stud SWB like your existing hub, (as Neil said).

There are 3 varieties: 2 piston caliper solid disc, 4 piston caliper solid disc, 4 piston caliper vented disc. The last one is obvously the best but in last few years the replacement vented discs have disappeared. Motomobil still stock them but that is the only place that I have found. Although the diameter and thickness is the same as the Mk3, the height is different. So you will probably need to go for solid discs.

The mounting bracket is the same for 2 piston and 4 piston calipers so you can start with 2 piston calipers and upgrade later if you want.

The Transit Mk1/Mk2 4 piston calipers can be tricky to find but you can use the single brake line versions of the LDV Sherpa/Convoy calipers which have bigger pistons so give more front braking. But they will need a bigger master cylinder bore as it takes more brake fluid with a bigger piston.

The state of the kingpins on your existing axle and any possible RHD disc braked axle will determine whether you change over the parts or the complete axle.

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:09 am

NogE wrote:Looks like I'll hv a task finding that....and rear arb off mk2 too yeah?
keep looking on ebay they do appear from time to time
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:59 am

ARB's pop up from time to time, they were an option for Mk2's I think, but not widely fitted as far as I can tell. If you can't find any over there, get in touch with K-Mac in Australia, they will make them for you. I have bought 2 sets from them, they were not expensive, I think about AU$300 each axle from memory (£150) but postage might be a killer, especially now!

otherwise, if there are any spring makers around they should be able to make you up a pair. It is basically just a couple of bits of high carbon steel, bent into shape, and heat treated. A few U shaped brackets and bushes, and job done! See pics in my thread which will give you a good idea.

https://www.k-mac-camber-kits.com/Catal ... y-Bars.pdf
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby NogE » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks chaps.....I've been given some great details as aways here... need to make my list and do some phone calls....theres a spring makers near me ..near Wembley stadium (Paddington springs) I'm sure some readers in UK would know these..been around for decades....I'll give them a call... I'm sure ill hv to take van over to them to get their measurments
NogE
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2