*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help! Can't find Engine number!

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Help! Can't find Engine number!

Postby jonguitar » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:24 pm

Hello everyone, my first post. I am not a mechanic!!!! I own a 1979 Ford Transit mk2 CI motorhome. I have had it 15 years. I love it dearly. My mechanic friend years ago put a 1986 Ford Transit 2.5 di engine in it. My insurance company (first time) has asked for the engine number asnd I (and my mechanic ) cannot find it anywhere. I have 2 weeks to provide it. Can someone please tell me where it is and also what to look for .. How many digits, letters, numbers etc... I so would dearly appreciate any help. Even a rough idea so I can take it back and tell him where to look! I am scared the insurance company may invalidate my policy. My mechanic has said that they sometimes did not have a number years ago. Is that correct ??? Many many thanks in advance......
jonguitar

Re: Help! Can't find Engine number!

Postby wojciech » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Your engine is from the Mk3 model - you put your question in the wrong forum section. :)
The figure shows where to look for the engine number.
Since your engine is from 1986, it probably has a CAV Lucas injection system and has the symbol 4AB. The next eight-digit engine serial number should be the same as the last eight digits of the VIN number if the engine is original and not replaced. But that's not your case.

Often the area is dirty and the number is illegible or even invisible. Then you need to clean them with a coarse cloth containing a petrol solvent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2