*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk2 transit motorhome

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk2 transit motorhome

Postby Keefy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:45 pm

Hi all I’m very much new here and new to the old transits, so apologies for no doubt the same questions that’s been asked over the years!

Basically I’m after some some advice on the fitment of a 2.5 do turbo lump out of an ldv, the Bosch pump conversion and is it wise to leave the 4 speed in that was behind the York diesel lump.

I’ve very recently bought a lovely 1983 lhd transit motorhome and the next day fetched a 2.5 di turbo engine and mt75 out of an ldv convoy minibus.

Any help and advice would be amazing and much appreciated!

Many thanks

Keith
Keefy

Re: Mk2 transit motorhome

Postby mk2 transit crew » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi Keefy,

there is loads of information on here that im sure when you go through you will be able to piece together what you need as most things have already been done many times before.

I am far from an expert and am learning as i go.

im doing a conversion from a pre di to a di banana engine also out of an ldv. this is what i know so far and i have the engine sat in the van and correct.

You will likely need different engine mounts that sit at 45 degrees vs the flat ones on the ldv. they are available used but are not the easiest to find as ideally they need to be the ones for a mt75 box as apparently its very important the gearbox is supported on a mt75. i got my engine mounts from transit centre i think.

You will also need a new prop shaft this is the bit i haven't got to yet. in my case i know it will have to be made in my case but it does apparently depend on the model and the length of the vehicle as the prop shaft is two pieces and can be split and have a mk5 shaft put on to match the gearbox as naturally there are lots of different lengths.

You will also need a new gearbox crossmember. i know the one i had out of a ldv was no where near good enough. i was lucky enough the parts man Ralph who has most things and is well known on here for helping had the correct one which im told comes out of a long wheel base mk3 as it has different odd leg and cranked fixings. you will need to add a fixing to the transit to take one of the fixing points but its easy with or without a welder depending on how you want to do it. its ideal to get the correct cross member as at least you know the gearbox and engine angle is correct. otherwise you will be doubting yourself as i was for a while.

The gearbox hole in the transit is in a different place so will need a new hole cutting and old one deleting as such so ideally you want to get the gearstick and gaitor out of the ldv. If you are leaving it as a left hand drive im not sure how that will effect it as its closer to the right side vs the original one being closer to the left.

From what i have found so far its actually a really easy job once you have the correct mountings and crossmember.

Luke has also been very helpful with the information he has put on this forum so look out for that.

As i say im no expert but i am letting you know what i have found so far.

Hope that helps.
mk2 transit crew
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 1 & 2