*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

I'm finally getting on with my Mk1!

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: I'm finally getting on with my Mk1!

Postby oldskooler » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:29 am

having fitted a 2.9 cosworth bob into a mk2 van, which was a bit of a challenge to do nicely, i can only imagine you would have to mod the mk1 a nice bit and i cant honestly see it working out without a bullnose front....

the pinto sounds like the best all round solution, and as said with an overdrive box, it would leave it all looking nice and original looking inside too...
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ollie » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:19 am

IMG_3067.JPG

Moving forwards again slowly, I visited the depths of the fens a few weeks ago and bought a Complete Bullnose bonnet and front panels from Lee Batchelor and whilst talking to his dad have seen what a proper Bullnose looks like, so I've drilled out the spot welds on my V4 front crossmember and removed it in one piece in case its ever needed again.
They're not held in by much 10 spot welds at best, and my front valance had very few spot welds in it courtesy of the Met police.....
I've made a very heavy bolt in front crossmember and took care that the bolt holes go through in the same places as there are cut-outs in the front legs anyway so nobody is going to say I've reduced the structural integrity. :D
IMG_3066.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ollie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ollie » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:26 am

IMG_2934.JPG

So I've fitted the BOB 24v again, and cut the floor for the gearlever, its all a bit tight but there's definitely enough room for the box and the engine, but the big BUT is the intake for the BOB engine, in short there's no way it'll fit properly without modding the bulkhead, or messing with the brake servo, so the dilemmas continue - I could buy a set of Jenvey throttle bodies and manifolds for £2000.... ouch. OR I stick the 12v in and have an easy but still V6 life and when I win the lottery I know I can buy the bodies to stick the BOB back in :D
IMG_2796.JPG

and I've stuck this in to make you jealous, as they're the front stainless pistoned vented front brakes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ollie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ollie » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 am

And finally there's the small question of making it look nice, my crossmember will need to be covered up by a valance but the only one I can find appears to be central panels one for £999 on Ebay, so when I get to that stage I suspect I'll be looking to mould or carve a GRP one unless anyone has any better ideas or supplier details?

Ollie
Ollie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2