*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby client_twentieth331 » Sun May 17, 2026 10:05 am

Hi everyone! :D

I'll preface this post by saying I'm new to cars in general and have never owned one, but have been surrounded by them my whole life with my father owning many classic cars over the years.

I'm from the Middle East, and housing in my country is quite an issue, so I've been looking into owning a motor home and living in one in order to save on rent.
I'm looking for a cheap car, with relatively simple (and cheap) maintenance.

I've found a 1980 Ford Transit MK2 petrol engine for sale going for 7,700 GBP (price is negotiable) with a mileage of 23,500.
Please keep in mind that pricing in my country is likely higher than pricing in Europe for lack of availability.

I have yet to see this car in person and am making this post for tips on what to look out for when I do.

Some images and video are attached:
637277644_25999674496333479_8036162998904234265_n.jpg


634971992_25999645573003038_3434816356130232473_n.jpg


https://patchy.moe/-/file/jWsgh.mp4 <---- Video of the inside
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
client_twentieth331
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 17, 2026 9:29 am

Re: 1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby metalworker0 » Sun May 17, 2026 6:36 pm

for around the same price you get this minter here, and its a diesel 38,000

https://www.quirkycampers.com/uk/for-sa ... motorhome/

looks like it could be made by the same company

so this example is your benchmark

all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: 1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby client_twentieth331 » Sun May 17, 2026 6:41 pm

metalworker0 wrote:for around the same price you get this minter here, and its a diesel 38,000

https://www.quirkycampers.com/uk/for-sa ... motorhome/

looks like it could be made by the same company

so this example is your benchmark

all the best.mark


Hi Mark,

Thanks! It gives me a perspective on the pricing.
What do you think I should offer for mine considering its condition?
client_twentieth331
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 17, 2026 9:29 am

Re: 1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby metalworker0 » Sun May 17, 2026 6:58 pm

Can't say really .. may upset you , i'm not a motorhome guy and would not pay £1000 for that .. you don't know what state its in underneath .. all transits rot like hell .. i know you are in the middle east and this is less likely ..
They state of the conversion panels and interior, say to me, its not been looked after !

HOT country, all rubber suspension components will be perished

MPG will not be very good, probably under 15mpg

As a project , at £1000 i would still be humming and arring

Others will add their bit.

all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6055
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: 1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby Neil » Mon May 18, 2026 7:12 am

£1500 the rears had it but will make a pickup
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 5984
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 5:09 pm
Location: Preston

Re: 1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby client_twentieth331 » Mon May 18, 2026 3:23 pm

Neil wrote:£1500 the rears had it but will make a pickup
metalworker0 wrote:Can't say really .. may upset you , i'm not a motorhome guy and would not pay £1000 for that .. you don't know what state its in underneath .. all transits rot like hell .. i know you are in the middle east and this is less likely ..
They state of the conversion panels and interior, say to me, its not been looked after !

HOT country, all rubber suspension components will be perished

MPG will not be very good, probably under 15mpg

As a project , at £1000 i would still be humming and arring

Others will add their bit.

all the best.mark



Thank you guys!

I'll go have a look and see how bad the rot is and how far the guy is willing to come down.
Will update
client_twentieth331
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 17, 2026 9:29 am

Re: 1980 MK2 Motorhome: Should I get it?

Postby nadab_sardar » Wed Sep 23, 2026 9:05 am

Good luck with it, sounds like a solid plan going to see it in person before committing to anything.

One thing worth adding to what Mark and Neil said - crawl underneath with a torch and a screwdriver and actually poke the chassis rails and cross members, especially near the rear spring hangers and outriggers. Rot on these old Transits isn't always obvious from a quick look, sometimes it's hidden under underseal or filler. If the screwdriver goes through the metal like butter, walk away or use it hard to knock the price down.

Also worth checking when it last ran and drove properly, not just started. A 46 year old vehicle that's been sat for a long stretch can have brake lines seized, fuel lines perished, and a fuel tank full of rust from the inside even if the bodywork looks decent. Ask if you can see it running and ideally driven a bit, not just idling in the yard.

Given your plan is to actually live in it, I'd also budget extra beyond the purchase price for stuff like the suspension rubbers Mark mentioned, tyres if they're old (even with low mileage, rubber perishes with age), and a proper gas/electrical safety check on the camper conversion before you sleep in it. Cheap purchase price on something this old can turn into an expensive project fast if you're not going in with eyes open.
areas that mostly tyre fitting company don't cover in uk.
nadab_sardar
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2026 2:16 pm


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.