*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


New wheel bearings

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

New wheel bearings

Postby Fidde » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Next issue:

I need to replace the front wheel bearing. The problem I've run into is finding spares. No one seems to have what I need. So I have to figure out how to find something equivalent. Any ideas?

I have a British made Mk1, 1969.

Thanks!!!
User avatar
Fidde
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby madmark » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:57 pm

have you tried a mk2 type maybe they are the same????? :idea:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 15467
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:29 am

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:58 pm

i THINK even mk3 are the same :? - mk4 on are definatly different :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby Fidde » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I found bearings that seem to fit most Transit models from 1977 through 1991. However, no one at the shops knows for sure if they'll fit on the Mk1. It's not terribly expensive, though I still want to avoid wasting money. But I guess I could simply try if they fit.

Once again, thanks for the advice! You guys are really great!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, one more thing... Does anyone know of a good post or article on how to change wheel bearings...? :D
User avatar
Fidde
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby chrisvmax » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi, I think that there will be a series of numbers stamped on the edge of the bearing, these relate to the interior and exterior diameters and depth. Armed with these numbers I would have thought any bearing supplier would be able to match them up for you.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Chris
User avatar
chrisvmax
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:35 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby raspberryripple » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi,

The bearing kit you want is SKF VKBA 523. (Made in Germany). (Although on opening the box the larger of the two was made by Timken USA; must be part of the smae group; quality stuff, no the less.) I brought mine about two months ago in the UK from a general motor factors.

Regards
Craig
raspberryripple
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby gasman1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Try "Thamesdown bearings" in swindon.

But any good bearings shop in your area should be able to supply them.

Remember that Ford dont make bearings, they buy them.
gasman1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 am
Location: wiltshire

Re: New wheel bearings

Postby Fidde » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 am

The serial number was all I needed. I picked the bearings up the other day. Thanks a million, guys! Now I just have to get them on :?
User avatar
Fidde
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Sweden


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.