*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Mk1 1977 engine/gearbox swap

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Transit Mk1 1977 engine/gearbox swap

Postby pedropinto » Wed May 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey!

My name is Pedro, I'm from Porto, Portugal, and I just bought a 1977 Ford Transit, 2.4 diesel.

It's not running so good, and it's slow... so I'm considering an engine and gearbox swap. In your opinion, whats the best diesel motor and gearbox to swap? I want a cruise speed around 120, 130 km/h. Maximum speed around 150 km/h. Do you think it 's possible?

In my country Ford Transits are easy to find (the models from the 90's) so I can get a good price for a used engine and gearbox. But the mechanics are expensive, it's not cheap to fix an old car. So I need an engine that can be swaped withouth too much trouble. One that easily fits, without a lot of work. And that runs fast :p Is that too much to ask?

Cheers :)
pedropinto

Re: Transit Mk1 1977 engine/gearbox swap

Postby manandvan » Fri May 22, 2009 7:31 pm

hi 2.5 di diesel , simple straight swap, straight onto your own gearbox and engine mounts.
manandvan
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 pm

yup 2.5di's the way to go :D you could even fit the MT75 5 speed gearbox for a bit more top end cruising :D

it's a bit more work but worth it :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby jpv » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:58 pm

Olá Pedro! Chamo-me João e sou de Braga. :D
Como vai esse projecto? Gostava de ver isso. Eu tenho uma MK1 de 1977 em exclente estado que uso para campismo!

Hi Pedro, we live very close! I'm from Braga. Would love to see you van!

Regards
João Vale
jpv
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby pedromk1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Hello Pedro and João of the north of Portugal,
I am Pedro from Lisbon,
I’ve been wondering around here for almost a week because, it is quite probable that, briefly I will be a proud owner of a Camper Van MK1, still don’t know how old it is 1977, 78 or 79. Therefore, we will be, at least, 3 “Tugas” that own one of these rarities. :lol:
This topic particularly interests me because the one that I going to buy is stopped for almost two years and, according to current owner, he stopped using it because the engine made too much smoke and consumed too much oil. This must be signal of that the engine must is “delivering the soul to the creator”. It would like to ask you the following:
How much would cost, more or less, a camper van like this, taking in account the it’s bad condition? It will be better option to change to the engine and gearbox, as Pedro is to try to do, or to repair the original the Ford engine? Probably this swap will be more expensive than repairing.
Would you be so kind to let me know the way to upload photos to this post? I would like to share the few I have.
That’s all for now
Kind regards to all.
Pedro Pereira

Olá Pedro e João do norte,
Eu sou o Pedro de Lisboa,
Ando por aqui vasculhar há cerca de uma semana porque, é bem provável que, brevemente serei dono de uma Autocaravana MK1, ainda nem sei de que ano é.
Portanto, já seremos, pelo menos, 3 "Tugas" proprietários destas raridades. :lol:
Este tópico interessa-me particularmente porque aquela que vou vou comprar está parada há dois anos e, segundo o dono actual, deixou de a usar porque fazia muito fumo e gastava muito óleo. Isto deve ser sinal de que o motor deve ter entregue a alma ao criador.
Gostava de perguntar a ambos o seguinte:
Qual será, mais ou menos, o valor de uma autocaravana destas tendo em conta o mau estado em que este se encontra?
Será melhor opção trocar o motor e caixa, tal como o Pedro está a tentar fazer, ou reparar o motor Ford original? Provavelmente esta troca sairá bastante mais cara do que a reparação.
Já agora como é que se colocam fotos aqui? Gostava de partilhar as poucas que tenho.
Por agora é tudo.
Cumprimentos
Pedro Pereira

I don't know why, but they don't showup here... :( so the link for the album is bellow.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pedromcp/FordTransitMK1CamperVan#
pedromk1

Postby Ricardo Santana » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:52 am

Hello all!

This seems like a Portuguese fan reunion!

I'm also from Portugal, from Oporto, and have four of these beauties.

'77 mk1 diesel SWB van, 7 seater, daily worker
'80 mk2 diesel SWB van, 7 seater, being upgraded
'82 mk2 diesel LWB tipper, 7 seater, daily worker

And my pride and joy, a '69 mk1 petrol SWB tipper 3 seater being restored to show condition.

In my opinion the best way to go is 2.5DI and if possible 5 speed box. If your able to get a decent condition engine then this should be the best option.

Best regard's
Ricardo Santana
Ricardo Santana
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby manandvan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:09 pm

theyre all stark ravin bonkers!!! :lol:
manandvan
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby pedropinto » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 pm

boas!

este projecto é para começar em dezembro... ainda estou mt numa de analisar os prós e os contras...

prós - o raio da carrinha é mm bonita...

contras - $

qero a carrinha para fazer ferias..e n tenho paciencia para andar a 90km/h... para isso ainda tinha a minha velha mercedes 407...

comprei uma mais peuquena...mas sou fã de carrinhas antigas..e esta transit enche-me as medidas...so falta a velocidade ;) por isso estou mt inclinado a fazer esta alteração...so tenho receio que não resulte tão facil como me dizem..e que implique gastar mais dinheiro...

a ver vamos.

cumprimentos
pedropinto

Postby travlinman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Luke wrote:yup 2.5di's the way to go :D you could even fit the MT75 5 speed gearbox for a bit more top end cruising :D

how you get more top end cruisin wen final drive is same 4 or 5 speed :roll: :roll: :roll:
travlinman
Forum fool

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:39 pm

travlinman wrote:
Luke wrote:yup 2.5di's the way to go :D you could even fit the MT75 5 speed gearbox for a bit more top end cruising :D

how you get more top end cruisin wen final drive is same 4 or 5 speed :roll: :roll: :roll:
perhaps this is why you are the forum fool :roll: :lol: :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby SHAKA » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello Pedro my name is Nuno and i´m also from Porto, Portugal.

I own a 1977 MK2 Camper.
I´m also trying to make the gearbox swap from 4 to 5 speed but everyone i talk about it says it isnt worth it, its to difficult and bla, bla ,bla...

A mechanic mention that Ford had a 4 speed gearbox with overdrive but they are very hard to find.

So, i´m with the same problem and with no solution in sight. If you find any solution please share so we can all be happy.

Good luck!
SHAKA

Postby madmark_50484 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:46 pm

SHAKA wrote:Hello Pedro my name is Nuno and i´m also from Porto, Portugal.

I own a 1977 MK2 Camper.
I´m also trying to make the gearbox swap from 4 to 5 speed but everyone i talk about it says it isnt worth it, its to difficult and bla, bla ,bla...

A mechanic mention that Ford had a 4 speed gearbox with overdrive but they are very hard to find.

So, i´m with the same problem and with no solution in sight. If you find any solution please share so we can all be happy.

Good luck!

Just a thought but changing the diff could change the final drive as well
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SHAKA » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Hello madmark

Is it possible to change only the diff?
I though that doing the swap involved changing the gearbox and the diff.

My engine is a 2.4 diesel and every mechanic shuts the door when i try to find more about the swap.
For me isnt much about the speed its all about the noise.

As we talk about noise is there an easy way to isolate the engine noise to the cabin?
I know these are natural born noisy engines but ...

Thanks!
SHAKA

Postby madmark_50484 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Oh just realised we are talking about complete different stuff hee i was thinking mk5's :oops: I have never had or driven the yorkie engine but the 2.5 DI engine isnt much quieter I would say may be the 2.0 pinto or dohc engine might be the way to go. theres a guy who put a scorpio engine in one

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48128
Past
MK5 98 R reg Transit 190 LWB Semi hi Top
Mk5 98 S reg Transit 190 LWB High Cube
Present
Mk5 96 N Reg Transit Luton

Forum for bus enthusiasts and preservationists
www.busesuk.co.uk
madmark_50484
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby SHAKA » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Thats a fantastic job but petrol in Portugal is way more expensive than in the rest of Europe.
In fact i´ve never seen a Transit running on petrol in Portugal.
So what i´m trying to do is adapt a 5 speed gearbox to my 2.4 diesel engine, and that seems to be quite dificult.

Anyway the engine sound isolation process is quite useful.
SHAKA

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2