*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Attention MK1 Owners - Check your Thermostat!

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Attention MK1 Owners - Check your Thermostat!

Postby baconsdozen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Hello Simon
If water comes out of the exhaust when the engine is first started from cold it can be just condensation.If it continues to do it when the engine has run for a faiir time it might indicate a head gasket problem but the water in the rad should have gone down as well.Does the engine run OK?.
Have a look in the rad with the engine warm and running at a fast tickover,if there are bubbles in the rad and/or an oily mess then it may be the head gasket.Better still try a compression test with the engine hot.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby fremsley » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi mate,

Engine runs well apart from a suspected rattly tappet. Watto kindly tested the compression a few months ago and all seems ok. He flushed out the rad a while back, but do think it might be a crap rad? i also cant see any mayo in the rad. It also now developed a strange screerching vibration noise when i set off (like AIRWOLF if you remember the TV series!). My dad thinks it might be the bellhousing. Any ideas?

Ta

Yours mechanically challenged

Simon
fremsley
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby baconsdozen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm far too young to remember Airwolf.
Is the screeching noise from the water pump?.Perhaps its started to seize or the fan belt is slipping on it.
If the compressions are still OK that would rule out the head gasket and if the engine runs OK that would seem to confirm they are.Have you checked the thermostat by the old trick of sticking it in a kettle and boiling it to make sure the thing opens at the right temperature (usually around 80 degress)?.Another way to test a thermostat is to start the engine from cold and let it run up to temperature.Put your hand on the thermostsat housing,it should stay fairly cool then suddenly get hot as the thermostat opens.It it gradually gets warmer and ends up hot the thermostat could be stuck open and will cause over heating if it has stuck in the partially open position.Try flushing the engine block through as well,take off the top hose and the bottom and give it a good flushing.Don't forget to (gently) wash down and clean the radiator fins,just remember they are delicate and easily damaged.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby LizzyFordNut » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:36 pm

welshrussell wrote:
j6393 wrote:Holdens are really an Aussie icon as one of the biggest sellers in Australia and there are still plenty of the old straight sixes around so it is still easy to buy aftermarket stuff in Australia.
However I doubt that you would be able to buy parts for them easily in UK but the size of the Transit thermostat seems to be a common one so it is just a matter of finding the right heat range for the opening temperature.

Cheers for this - I managed to find one after all on ebay, it comes with the hole and has a operating temp of 73c (if I remember right) :D

I have this same problem on my Mk1 (May 1968) Transit. Could you advise me on which replacement thermostat I need to buy please?
LizzyFordNut

Previous

Return to Mk 1 & 2