*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Attention MK1 Owners - Check your Thermostat!

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Attention MK1 Owners - Check your Thermostat!

Postby welshrussell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Just thought I better share this with other Forum Members :o

After seeing comments by MadMark and Baconsdozen I found out a truly startling fact.

It seems the modern thermostats I've been buying for my V4 2litre Essex have not had a hole in them to prevent air locks :shock:

In the past my engine has just got hotter and hotter till it redlines and then dumps it's radiator contents all over the floor :?

So today, I whipped out the thermostat and drilled a 4mm hole through it, so hopefully now letting steam to escape.

Here is a photo of the thermostat in place with it's new hole:

It's MOT time tomorrow morning so I will see how the van goes then (and if my blue gasket glue-ing techniques were any good) :roll:

Mark and Kevin - please add to this, correct me if I have worded this wrong or forgotten anything important.
Do good things - and good things will happen to you!
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Attention MK1 Owners - Check your Thermostat!

Postby madmark » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:00 am

russ well done my frend!
this is very important to essex v4 owners who replace there thermost, QH for some reason list a thermostat without the bleed hole for the essex v4 this is very important ,i nealry lost my brand new engine rebuild because of this! :shock: i would go off up the road then all of a suden it would overheat and dump all the rad contents out all over the floor ! :shock:
if it wasnt for the fact of BD pointing this out to me i would of never of guesed it was something so simple! :roll:

so if you do have a v4 and you have fitted a new stat then for god sake check it has the bleed hole to stop the airlocking! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby baconsdozen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Hello Mark and Russell,I wonder if such a daft thing is what started all the stories about v4s overheating.As we've found out the lack of a bleed hole can cause then to boil over and yet I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else .Maybe the poor old v4 got a reputation for something that wasn't really its fault.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby j6393 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 am

baconsdozen wrote:Hello Mark and Russell,I wonder if such a daft thing is what started all the stories about v4s overheating.As we've found out the lack of a bleed hole can cause then to boil over and yet I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else .Maybe the poor old v4 got a reputation for something that wasn't really its fault.
I agree. When I bought my first V4 Transit everyone told me that they overheated and as summer temperatures here usually exceed mid-40C's I have always kept the radiator serviced regularly but I also use an early opening Holden thermostat (same part no. as the Transit) which has a bleed hole as standard.
Even on the hottest days my Transits have never boiled.
j6393
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby baconsdozen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:29 am

The old type thermostats used to have a small hole drilled throughb them and a little pin fitted in them that was free to move about and by doing so kept the hole clear of rust and scale.The pins were called jiggle pins and were one of the favourites items (along with sky hooks and long weights) to send an apprentice off to the store room for as a practical joke.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby welshrussell » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 am

j6393 wrote:
baconsdozen wrote:Hello Mark and Russell,I wonder if such a daft thing is what started all the stories about v4s overheating.As we've found out the lack of a bleed hole can cause then to boil over and yet I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else .Maybe the poor old v4 got a reputation for something that wasn't really its fault.
I agree. When I bought my first V4 Transit everyone told me that they overheated and as summer temperatures here usually exceed mid-40C's I have always kept the radiator serviced regularly but I also use an early opening Holden thermostat (same part no. as the Transit) which has a bleed hole as standard.
Even on the hottest days my Transits have never boiled.

I think I'll look into these 'Holden' types and see if they are still available - if they are the right ones for my engine :?
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby j6393 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 am

Holdens are really an Aussie icon as one of the biggest sellers in Australia and there are still plenty of the old straight sixes around so it is still easy to buy aftermarket stuff in Australia.
However I doubt that you would be able to buy parts for them easily in UK but the size of the Transit thermostat seems to be a common one so it is just a matter of finding the right heat range for the opening temperature.
j6393
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby welshrussell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 am

j6393 wrote:Holdens are really an Aussie icon as one of the biggest sellers in Australia and there are still plenty of the old straight sixes around so it is still easy to buy aftermarket stuff in Australia.
However I doubt that you would be able to buy parts for them easily in UK but the size of the Transit thermostat seems to be a common one so it is just a matter of finding the right heat range for the opening temperature.

Cheers for this - I managed to find one after all on ebay, it comes with the hole and has a operating temp of 73c (if I remember right) :D
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:29 am

I had thought of going on ebay and selling just the holes for the thermostats.All you'd need is a 2mm drill to fit them.50p a box of two.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby welshrussell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:50 am

baconsdozen wrote:I had thought of going on ebay and selling just the holes for the thermostats.All you'd need is a 2mm drill to fit them.50p a box of two.

:lol: :lol: I like that a lot :D
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmark » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm

baconsdozen wrote:I had thought of going on ebay and selling just the holes for the thermostats.All you'd need is a 2mm drill to fit them.50p a box of two.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Photo of new Thermostat

Postby welshrussell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:30 pm

Just thought I'd show people what the original thermostat should look like :?

Sorry for the picture quality but I hope you can see the little plastic ball hanging down from a hole in the thermostat rim. It is held in place with what looks like a small piece of wishbone shaped metal.
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baconsdozen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:44 pm

You can't beat holding your balls in place with a piece of wishbone shaped metal.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby welshrussell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:43 pm

baconsdozen wrote:You can't beat holding your balls in place with a piece of wishbone shaped metal.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
welshrussell
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby fremsley » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi all,

I drilled out my hole in the thermostat and i thought all was going well. however on a 40 odd mile run to tthe south coast meet she behgan to overheat right up to the line (45-50 mph). On the way back she went into the red. Hoiwever, there was still coolant on the rad when she cooled down. I've just started her up today and there is some water coming out of the exhaust (enought to wet my hand in a few seconds). So do we think its the head gasket? Any advice appreciated.

cheers

simon
fremsley
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2