*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Heater Blower

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Heater Blower

Postby dame edna » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:08 am

My heater blower has stopped working! The vans a mark 5 1999 VG smiley 2.0l petrol SWB low top. It will not work either way you turn the switch (recirc or outside air) in all 3 positions so I assumed it was the motor. I took the black plastic dash panel off (the one with the radio, clock and centre vent) to get to it and it looks like the blower motor is there moulded into the top of the big black plastic moulding that holds all the heater gubbins. I pulled the connector off it and it gets 11.5 volts when the switch is anywhere other than off when it then reads 0v. So I guess I need a new motor? If that is the case how the heck can you change it? It looks to me like the only way is to remove the whole centre system, split it in half and swap the motor out – meaning draining the system and removing a lot of the dash and even the gearstick – aaagh! Is there an easier way. I should mention that the van is in Australia so having some sort of heater blower is pretty essential...
dame edna
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Australia at present

Re: Heater Blower

Postby AndyG » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:42 pm

I read on here that it's possible to remove the blower motor with the access you've made :!:

I'd rather just remove the whole dash board :)
It sounds daunting :shock: but isn't that bad at all :!: :D

Yes, the steering wheel has to come off too, but not the gear lever :!:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Heater Blower

Postby dame edna » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:42 am

Gulp!! Thanks for the reply - I thought that might be the case. I am on the road with no workshop and a cheap 24 piece socket set - we nearly got chucked out of a campsite for changing the oil\filter so if I start ripping dashes out I guess they'll not be happy - I might see if I can befriend someone to do it in their workshops.
dame edna
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Australia at present

Re: Heater Blower

Postby neilc5023 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 am

where abouts in oz are you?
neilc5023
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 pm
Location: blackburn lancashire

Re: Heater Blower

Postby dame edna » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:19 am

hi neill - we're on the gold coast just south of Brisbane.
dame edna
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Australia at present

Re: Heater Blower

Postby Breakdown Biker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:18 pm

dame edna wrote:hi neill - we're on the gold coast just south of Brisbane.

Lucky b"*?! 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
My blower is gubbed too, but we need it for the opposite reason in Scotland :(
Good luck with the repair. Whats the situation with getting spares :?:
Where would ya be without a can of W.D?

Mk5 hicube minibus camper conversion
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=43816
User avatar
Breakdown Biker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Cumbernauld, Glasgow

Re: Heater Blower

Postby neilc5023 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 pm

i have friends down in perth may have a garage you could use?
neilc5023
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 pm
Location: blackburn lancashire

Re: Heater Blower

Postby dame edna » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:19 am

Spares are a real problem out here, everyone grimaces when I ask for parts for a transit (they call them ford tragics out here) - they have a couple of chain stores that sell auto parts but they're all just like halfords - spotty geeks that just look in catalogues and when this particular model of tranny is not listed they say they cant help. I still cannot find an air filter (the closest I have found is a BMW 318i filter - that might fit) so I'm knocking this one out every once in a while... In the 17000 kms or so that we have done around the south/west and north I can say that we saw less than half a dozen trannys (all diesels) but now we are on the east coast, around the cities they are more common for courier vans (I guess 'cuz of the barn doors helping fork truck drivers not tailgates thats on all the jap vans) But even so theres none in wreckers etc. So even if I get the old blower motor out I doubt I can find a new one!!
By the way - thanks for the offer of a possible garage in Perth but its probably about 5000 miles away from us now (great city by the way!!!)
dame edna
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Australia at present

Re: Heater Blower

Postby AndyG » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 am

Good news and bad news :!:

Good news; You'll be glad to hear the fan is the same as that fitted to the later Transits :D

Bad news; New, about £250 odd :shock: :roll:
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Heater Blower

Postby Breakdown Biker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm

That's a bitch with the spares mate, :(
One of the reasons I've stuck with Transits is because they are so plentiful over here, so no problems with most parts.
Maybe an autoelectrical shop could refurb yourblower :!: :?:
Where would ya be without a can of W.D?

Mk5 hicube minibus camper conversion
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=43816
User avatar
Breakdown Biker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Cumbernauld, Glasgow

Re: Heater Blower

Postby ablaze79 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:51 pm

Good News!! I've recently replaced my fauly blower motor... Without removing the dash!!
Will look though my msg's and post the how to guide!
Also... The most you pay for a replacement on ebay is £55 + postage and I've also got details of a chap who'll sell for alot less (Spare motors from 03 transits! (They fit too!)
Fell free to PM me for further info.
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Heater Blower

Postby ablaze79 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Hiya!
Through prayer & miracle! lol
Ok, removal went as follows....
Radio out, remove Power feed that's facing you on the right hand side of the motor, unclip green square relay that's on the right hand side at the top on the back. you'll need to stick a screwdriver under the metal clip that's holding it.
There are two plastic vent hoses running down next to the right hand side of the motor, pull off and remove the front one, pull off and bend down the one in behind.
Now the tricky part.. I lay across the front of my van and looked up under the steering wheel and in behind the motor. I saw that when looking side on at the motor, on the right hand side facing the engine bay, there was a flap of plastic attached to the actual motor that was preventing me from "unscrewing" the motor! Pull this little flap forward and you can then rotate the motor anticlockwise and release it from the main box.
Now push the second, hanging vent hose down with your foot (Don't worry, the hose will reform) & twist, tug and pull and you'll be able to pull the whole motor through the radio gap!
Please note... my radio was a single din & has a single din surround. I therefore had already removed the entire centre fashia. Had I had a double din faschis , this may have given me the required room to pull the whole motor through the gap. you may have to do the same, as the gap may not be wide enough otherwise?!

All the best!
Apollo
ablaze79
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Heater Blower

Postby strongarm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Andyg wrote:I read on here that it's possible to remove the blower motor with the access you've made :!:

I'd rather just remove the whole dash board :)
It sounds daunting :shock: but isn't that bad at all :!: :D

Yes, the steering wheel has to come off too, but not the gear lever :!:


Sorry to hijack this thread..., but I was about to post a querie in this section re my heater blower assy' my blower still blows but the control knob is stuck in the hot position and one of the flap cables has broke off, so I have to remove the unit assy. Here's me thinking it was fairly striaght forward till I read in the haynes manual " remove the Facia" and your post about removing the dash... I guess it has to be removed (facia/dashboard) then :cry: any pointers Andy.


Pete.
strongarm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: Sarf london croydon

Re: Heater Blower

Postby AndyG » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Remove Steering wheel

Remove stalks

Remove instrument cluster

Remove covers on top of dash to reveal torx screw bolts (wrap the end of the ratchet with a cloth, as this can save you a windscreen :shock: :lol: ( and no, I didn't :wink: )

A couple of screw either side on the A pillars and a couple on the heater control (you can see these looking from below, upwards)

And don't forget the hidden 10mm bolt on the late smileys :!:
Image


:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28119
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Re: Heater Blower

Postby dame edna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 am

thanks guys - I've had no luck locating a spare one in Australia so far - If I find a tranny in a breakers I suppose I will have a practice on the one that I take it out of before I attempt mine!!
Will keep you all posted
dame edna
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Australia at present

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.