*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 5 Transit type?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Mk 5 Transit type?

Postby m25roundabout » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Ok. Thanks for info.
m25roundabout
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jimllshiftit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:49 am

Well thats the first time ive heard anyone refer to anything on a Humble/Mighty Smiley as complicated.!
If youre not familiar with these vehicles there really is nothing left on the road quite like them. They are so straightforward they make an oldish Defender look hi tech.... A cam belt is all but childs play, and you dont need anything more than a few drill bits to lock the timing position.

As with life itself, just Keep It Simple, Silly.. Plenty of people here are running Smileys on vegoil all year round without any mods at all.... Im one of them!
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby m25roundabout » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:55 am

Hi Jimllshiftit, it's only complicated to me because I am not a mechanic! Having said that, I am practical, have a Haynes manual, and realise there is a lot of help given on this site. Thanks for your yours. Now tell me, if you have the time, how do you go about running your vehicle on Vegetable Oil without converting it and heating up the oil? Would be really interested, if you have the time and inclination to share. Cheers.
m25roundabout
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jimllshiftit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Apologies for the delayed response, hadnt noticed youd responded to me.

Hope you dont think I was being condescending earlier. Im no mechanic either, but these vans are so straight forward they are a delight to work on really. Its why I love 'em :wink:

Right then, recipe for how I do veg oil.

Again, keeping this system as simple as my van is.

1) Get some used cooking oil
2) Let it settle for about 6 to 8 weeks.
3) Put the nice clean oil at the top of the drum into the hole on the side of the van where diesel usually goes.
4) Drive away.
n.b) dont use the white stuff left at the bottom of the drum after step 3.

Dont over think it. Its really that simple.

My method is unkind to the van, but i think ive done this for 5 years with this van. Ill burn a starter motor out every now and again, theyre still cheaper than diesel. The fuel pump and injectors might pack up some time soon.... Still cheaper than the cost of diesel over the time period ive been using it....

Be kind to your van. Fit a little tank to start it on regular diesel. Fit a couple of ball valves to switch it over to vegoil when its running. Run your veg oil tank through a coolant heated heat exchanger, and switch back to regular diesel before you park up for the night.

Keep it simple, silly! :D
jimllshiftit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby m25roundabout » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Many thanks jimllshiftit. Sent you a pm yesterday. And no, I didn't think you were being condescending! Thanks for your help and information.
m25roundabout
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits