Transitmania 12 @Santa Pod 15th to 17th May 2020

mk5 side sliding door will not open

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

mk5 side sliding door will not open

Postby Tania » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:53 am

My 1997 Ford Transit Van 2.5 Diesel manual side sliding door will not open, i have pulled inside panel off oiled everything still not opening, i notice it all seems to be working except the MANUAL LOCK/UNLOCK BLACK INSIDE DOOR BUTTTON SWITCH seems to go BACK all the way but when pushed FORWARD wont go all the way forward, ive tried to push it forward while playing with all the metal parts but no, ive tried with key in all doors locking and unlocking but no, so it seems to be something with the internal locking unlocking black Manul button, or would it maybe be the lock at rear of sliding door when fully closed.
Thankyou Tania
Tania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk5 side sliding door will not open

Postby Bruce e » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:04 am

Hi Tania I have had a similar problem with my one I played with the small lock tab by the opening handle and got it open eventually

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
Bruce e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tania » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 am

Thankyou Bruce i have opened it by doing that, has taken alot of time but finaly opened, just got to work out how the get the manual by hand door lock/unlock buttom to go forward more to full unlock, tried by hand and with keys neither will get it to go more forward,something seems to be stopping it from manually by hand going full forward , although it gos all the way back manualy by hand to lock with out the key , thanks again tania , Bruce do you happen to know if any new zealand companys sell rust repair panels over your way if so please let me know dont seem to have any here in auzzie only in UK and the postage to expensive thanks again tania
Tania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hetman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:03 am

Are all of the metal rods inside the door in place? If a connecting rod has come out, it won't work properly. Do you see anything dangling around inside, or dropped into the bottom of the door perhaps? I changed the lock cylinder in both side and rear doors a couple weeks ago but do not claim to be an expert. Pictures of your situation might help.
Mike
hetman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tania » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:19 am

will post pic in morning all mechinisms seem to be in place
Tania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Bruce e » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm

Sorry Tania can not help you with rust repair panels, have had Transits for 40 years and never had a problem

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
Bruce e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tania » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:51 am

after greasing and spraying wd40 in on and around all inner door fittings bingo after trying every day on the 5th day she just opened and closes great now thanks everyone for your input
Tania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hetman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Great news!! When I bought my van a month ago, that was the first thing I did - lubricate all lock mechanisms. I did that in conjunction with replacing the lock cylinders in the side and rear doors, to which there no keys.
Mike
hetman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits