****NOW BOOKED FOR 2021**** Transitmania 12 @Santa Pod 16th to 18th July 2021 ****ALL DETAILS HERE****


2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 am

Hi everyone, got a 2.5 di in my boat and been running fine until today after running for 3 to 4 hours on and off the engine just cut out as if someone turned the ignition off. Tried to restart but nothing, turns over fine but wont fire up. any idea`s please
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Keef » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 am

Check the cambelt hasn't stripped or snapped.
User avatar
Keef
MK3 Massive
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Worthing, Sussex & Maldon, Essex

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Altransit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:31 am

Keef wrote:Check the cambelt hasn't stripped or snapped.

Likely stripped around the bottom pulley where there are fewer teeth, it's about the only reason that a Di just randomly stops :(
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
User avatar
Altransit
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 36241
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:23 am
Location: Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:39 am

Sorry because of it been late when we finished and a bit kernackered forgot to mention we was having trouble with the ignition switch, when we turned the key to start no issues, but when we turned the key to stop the engine there was a delay before it stopped of about 5 seconds and during the day it got progressively worse to extent where it took about a min or so before it actually stopped, could that be the cause.
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby dumper » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 am

Possible the injection pump is breaking up inside and jamming the stop open ( had loads of pump failures when we went to low sulphur diesel first the stop started jamming and not long after need new pump )and now possibly stuck closed or it’s just packed up .with ignition switch on try unplugging the feed wire on and off and listen if you can hear it click
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:04 am

dumper wrote:Possible the injection pump is breaking up inside and jamming the stop open ( had loads of pump failures when we went to low sulphur diesel first the stop started jamming and not long after need new pump )and now possibly stuck closed or it’s just packed up .with ignition switch on try unplugging the feed wire on and off and listen if you can hear it click

X2 remove the stop solenoid and check for filings stuck to the plunger :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
User avatar
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 8729
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: 24 Years living next door to Alice

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Altransit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 am

It's always possible, it's only about £20 for a new switch, and a few minutes to fit it :)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
User avatar
Altransit
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 36241
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:23 am
Location: Bicester, Oxfordshire, UK

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby gotgcoalman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Check for voltage to the solenoid on the pump when the ignition is on and when off.
Might be a bad wire/connection.

Sent from my Plus E using Tapatalk
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
User avatar
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 8438
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 pm
Location: Aycliffe in County Durham

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:27 am

Keef wrote:Check the cambelt hasn't stripped or snapped.

The cam belt had stripped teeth and bent two push rods, the rocker seems fine
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:29 am

Altransit wrote:
Keef wrote:Check the cambelt hasn't stripped or snapped.

Likely stripped around the bottom pulley where there are fewer teeth, it's about the only reason that a Di just randomly stops :(

Exactly what you said stripped the teeth round the bottom pully, bent two push rods, is there a reason for stripping teeth there, is it like you said few teeth on the bottom pully.
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:31 am

Altransit wrote:It's always possible, it's only about £20 for a new switch, and a few minutes to fit it :)

Changed the switch but unfortunately it was the timing belt switch thanks for your input
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby dumper » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Mattyone wrote:
Altransit wrote:
Keef wrote:Check the cambelt hasn't stripped or snapped.

Likely stripped around the bottom pulley where there are fewer teeth, it's about the only reason that a Di just randomly stops :(

Exactly what you said stripped the teeth round the bottom pully, bent two push rods, is there a reason for stripping teeth there, is it like you said few teeth on the bottom pully.

Yes belt passed it service miles or oil contamination just fit a new belt and tensioner and time it up fit new push rods or straighten the old ones should be ok not often a di does more damage.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 pm

I have a photo same engine layout as mine, when I took the belt off and the rocker off the pully in the photo right side spins freely by hand is this correct
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Keef » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:58 pm

That pulley is for the camshaft so If you've taken the rocker shaft off then it probably will spin fairly freely.

There's a guide here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=56801
User avatar
Keef
MK3 Massive
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Worthing, Sussex & Maldon, Essex

Re: 2.5 di just cut out no restart?

Postby Mattyone » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:02 am

Keef wrote:That pulley is for the camshaft so If you've taken the rocker shaft off then it probably will spin fairly freely.

There's a guide here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=56801

I have taken it off but not an expert so just checking thank you
Mattyone
Transit Fan
Transit Fan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users