*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.5di cold start at - degrees

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

2.5di cold start at - degrees

Postby Ransettimies » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Now its been little freeze, -1 to -4 celcius.

If i start without preheater, it starts just "showing" key but runs about second little bit rough.

This is my first DI diesel so how it should be starting at cold?

I have piezo plug with diesel injection at intake manifold and i tested earlier that it works.

Im not so worry about that second roughness but when there is -10 or -20 will it be super rough? I usually use preheater at winter but you will never no if you had to cold start it.
Ransettimies
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.5di cold start at - degrees

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:02 pm

A serviceable 2.5-liter diesel Ford Transit easily starts up to -10 and even up to -15 degrees Celsius - a lot depends on the condition of the battery, starter and power wires from the battery to the starter.
At -5 degrees Celsius, the spark plug in the manifold with fuel supply starts to work.
The first minutes after the start, a cold diesel engine works hard and loudly, this is normal.
Warming up the engine before starting is a wonderful thing!
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ransettimies » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:02 am

Thermostat housing sensor looks that -5 for plug? Or some other sensor?

I know cold diesel wont idle like lexus but im wondering that little harshness just after start. But maybe its normal.
Ransettimies
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:50 pm

The temperature sensor, which turns on the collector heating system with candles, is located in the collector heating control unit.
I have a very old car, 90 years old and with a left-hand drive, the block is located on the left mudguard. Two connectors with 5 contacts.
When I first got this car, I opened the heating control unit, repaired it and was able to draw up its electrical circuit and even raised the heating switch-on temperature to 0 degrees Celsius. But in vain - the engine starts up to -5 without any problems.
Until 98, the block is located in the same place, two connectors for 9 contacts.
Later-on 8 pins.
Yes, a cold motor runs hard and loud.
This is a feature of naturally aspirated diesel engines with direct injection into the combustion chamber.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits