*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk3 LWB STEERING BOX SWAP

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Transit mk3 LWB STEERING BOX SWAP

Postby camper-man » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:59 pm

hI,All am looking for some help> I am changing the steering box on a MK3 transit I am removing the POWER STEERING BOX "If i can get the drop arm off"As its need for a mk1 project by a family member"sobefor i start i have afew quetions

The questions i have are:
I have been told the steering box is a stright swap and will just bolt to the current mounting plate Is this right?
On the NON POWER steering box am fitting i bought it off ebay what way around does the drop are fit with the ford crest on the outside facing the wheel or on the inside facing the inner wheel arch?

More quetions will follow an sure :lol: :lol:
Hope someone can help.

Thanks
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Transit mk3 LWB STEERING BOX SWAP

Postby dumper » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:49 am

Look at the taper on the drag link if it’s still on the van as it will fit to the drop arm one way only as for fitting the box I would expect it to be the same as it’s part of the body shell unlike a A series that had a plate bolted to the chassis.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Transit mk3 LWB STEERING BOX SWAP

Postby camper-man » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:06 am

dumper wrote:Look at the taper on the drag link if it’s still on the van as it will fit to the drop arm one way only as for fitting the box I would expect it to be the same as it’s part of the body shell unlike a A series that had a plate bolted to the chassis.

Thanks i have a drag link that come with the steering box when i bought it will see if i can work it out from that.

What got me is the drop arm on the power steering box has the ford badge cast on it and thats facing out but on r the manual box i think the drop arm may go the other way away with the ford name facing into the body bit of look some one with a mk3 manual steering box can tell me,if i cant figure it out.

Thanks for your help and advise..
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits