*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What did you do to your mk 3/4/5 today.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: What did you do to your mk 3/4/5 today.

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:35 pm

Today, with a carbide cutter and an electric drill, I increased the diameter of the hole for the passage of the axle shaft to 30 mm.
Today I received a salary and I can buy a set of differential gears and a new oil seal, wash the parts of the gearbox and assemble it.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:58 pm

Yesterday I was looking at the car market for satellites for the gearbox after 92 years. Those that were offered to me are the same as those that were in the gearbox.
It is necessary to remove the axle shaft from the rear axle and check the coincidence of the splines on it and on the differential gear. But I'll do this in a week.
Today I drowned the piston of the internal pressure regulator in the high pressure fuel pump a little - the car ran faster. But it began to work a little more noisily.
If after all the fuel pump adjustments the fuel consumption is less than 9 liters per 100 kilometers, this can be put up with.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:19 am

Today I changed the lock in the right door - it began to open on the go, changed the air filter - on a turbodiesel they need to be changed more often than on an atmospheric engine, otherwise they are blown away by the air flow and the engine runs on uncleaned air.
Even today I pulled out a semi-axle from my type 34 rear axle and checked the correspondence of satellites from a recently purchased gearbox with a gear ratio of 4.11 to the old axle shafts
Correspond.
You can wash the parts of the gearbox and assemble it.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:16 pm

Anyone know the dimensions of the centre pin/bolt running through the rear leaves of a 190 mk5?

2+1 set up at the minute,but I'm looking to add an extra or 2 so slightly elongated would be preferable.

Looks like I might have a compromised middle leaf on the left hand side

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jet123 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:21 pm

Bought loads of second hand parts for my diy camper conversion / restoration including a folding rear 4 seater bench seat almost ready to start on it
Jet123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:43 am

gotgcoalman wrote:Anyone know the dimensions of the centre pin/bolt running through the rear leaves of a 190 mk5?

2+1 set up at the minute,but I'm looking to add an extra or 2 so slightly elongated would be preferable.

I haven't checked - but fairly sure its just an M8

I'm going to be doing similar shortly and adding an extra leaf on my camper. Hopefully I can do it without having to remove the springs from the van!
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:55 pm

Today I changed the bendix on the starter.
After replacing the brushes, he began to slip.
At my work for several years there were four bendixes after repair, I chose one and replaced the faulty one.
Now instant engine start!
After I did a little magic on the injection pump, the car became noticeably faster and fuel consumption became about 8.5 liters per 100 kilometers when driving around the city.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:24 pm

MinorMatt wrote:
gotgcoalman wrote:Anyone know the dimensions of the centre pin/bolt running through the rear leaves of a 190 mk5?

I haven't checked - but fairly sure its just an M8

I'm going to be doing similar shortly and adding an extra leaf on my camper. Hopefully I can do it without having to remove the springs from the van!
The head of the bolt/pin is round to sit in the locating recess on the axle.

Possibly been offered a like for like replacement to get me out of the poo for the time being though.

gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gotgcoalman » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:08 pm

Saw the lad today who has the springs.
Both sides dropped of in the not too distant future,in return for 2xalloys for a 4 stud Ford.
Were on a sierra I had years ago and a pair of 5 stud wheel spacers, I had on a MK2 Granada.

He gets rid of crap to me and I get rid of some of my crap to him.

Win win

gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:21 pm

Yesterday, on the way from the dacha, the muffler fell off, today at work I welded a front pipe to it, made new fasteners from pieces of the conveyor belt and installed the muffler on the car.
Silencer is better!
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:52 am

gotgcoalman wrote:The head of the bolt/pin is round to sit in the locating recess on the axle.

Possibly been offered a like for like replacement to get me out of the poo for the time being though.

Use a cap head then?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:15 pm

Thought about that.
Will measure hole and head when time comes for future folks reference.

Dunno why we keep fixing stuff.
Rishi says we'll all be living on the moon next year

Us better folk are waiting for the shuttle to Jupiter

gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Noctule » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:47 pm

What is it about Transits? There's always something else to fix / adjust / replace / weld / hit repeatedly with a mallet.

Getting the Campercube ready for a run into Europe.

Yesterday the front left caliper started to seize up for the third time this year. As I had already bought a seal kit to replace one of the weather bellows (it had shredded itself and had jammed a piston) the whole caliper came off to get new seals too. The pistons had suffered a little from the lack of weather protection, a light rub with some 1200 wet and dry cleaned them up nicely.

This morning I replaced the front propshaft hanger. The rubber had split most of the way around, and yet was only an advisory on its MoT in January. I don't know why I didn't do both at the same time when I replaced to rear one last year,, that bit of the prop had to come off anyway. and I bought them as a pair.

More to come, whilst sorting the prop bearing I noticed the catalytic converter had started to crack open, and had done so nearly half way around. Time to get the welder out. An easy fix. Out of curiosity I shone a torch down the pipe to inspect he cat honeycomb, and scraped a bit of soot off to find it in a surprisingly good condition. Reassemble in reverse order, etc. I don't think the silencer actually has much life left in it, it's starting to fall apart at the seams, as silencers do. I'm impressed though as its still the original cat/silencer pipe (ie from 2000!) and had survived well despite its being chopped up and turned into a side exit exhaust to allow for the hydraulic lift fitted in its minibus days.

zorst.jpg

Took it out for a spin a little while ago, got out on to the main road and putting my foot down not only caused a huge burp of soot, but also saw revs going up much quicker that before welding and scraping the cat. I checked the recently-fitted boost guage to see it going up to around 18psi! quite something as it only went up to 10psi yesterday. Time to back off the waste gate and fuelling I think, hopefully it'll have got some of its previous economy back too.

Now all it has to do is stay trouble free for 4 weeks and 3000 miles. not to much to ask, surely. It's done it before for a tour of Italy. Plenty of spares onboard, alternator, starter, front wheel bearing and rear wheel cylinders, all that can be fitted at 'the side of the road' if need be.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, whilst under the 'cube I noticed all the stonechip I'd put on ever the MoT welding had fallen off. Will have to paint it properly when we get back from our jolly.

Bloody Transits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Noctule » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:46 am

Well there we go, I tempted fate, and a headlight bulb blow last night. Was a 'xenon' bulb I put in a couple of years ago. Luckily I always carry the original Motorcraft bulbs as spares, so not a problem.

Bloody Transits.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Wed May 03, 2023 6:53 pm

On my Transit, it was impossible to properly adjust the right mirror, I bought another one at the disassembly, but with flat glass and could not correctly assess the situation to my right.
The purchased mirror is larger than the old one, and I somehow installed a spherical element into the body of the purchased mirror. But I can correctly assess the situation.
Today I ordered a spherical reflective element.
Even today I washed the parts of the rear axle gearbox bought a couple of months ago with a reduction of 4.11 with gasoline and compressed air, painted the gearbox housing with red paint and assembled it, but did not adjust the gap in the engagement of the gear and shank.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits