*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Me and the steering box of my van

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Me and the steering box of my van

Postby Seisrodinhas » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:17 pm

Hello everybody.

I am from Portugal. I recently bought a 1991 Ford Transit van. The van is left-hand drive, like most European cars. I'm not very knowledgeable about Ford models, but I think it's an MK3, CY model and it has dual wheels in the rear.

Sorry if I've already said something wrong.

From what I understand, the steering is not assisted. Or rather, it is assisted by arm strength.

I have a small problem, that is, the slack in the steering and it costs a bit to drive with this problem. The big problem is that I can't find a replacement steering box anywhere. Can someone here help me?
Seisrodinhas

Re: Me and the steering box of my van

Postby V184 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:51 pm

have you tried adjusting the box ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Seisrodinhas » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:24 am

V184 wrote:have you tried adjusting the box ?

No, I haven't tried it yet. How is this adjustment made?
Seisrodinhas

Postby Chug » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:26 am

It's been a while since I did one but look at the steering box there is a screw/bolt that you turn to take up play in the box.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Seisrodinhas » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 pm

Chug wrote:It's been a while since I did one but look at the steering box there is a screw/bolt that you turn to take up play in the box.

I think I know which screw you're referring to. That nut and bolt on the side of the steering box. I unscrew the nut and adjust the screw. Right ?
What force should I apply to the screw in question ? Do I have to lift the front wheels of the van and measure with a dynamometric wrench the force I apply to the screw? Or do I tighten the screw and test it on the steering wheel, turning it left and right and see if it continues loose or if the steering starts to get stuck?
Seisrodinhas

Postby Chug » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:45 pm

Yes the one with the locknut, you just need to take up the free play, don't overtighten or steering may be stiff, you can do it without jacking up the wheels.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Seisrodinhas » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:16 pm

Chug wrote:Yes the one with the locknut, you just need to take up the free play, don't overtighten or steering may be stiff, you can do it without jacking up the wheels.

Thank you for the tip. I'm going to tighten the screw a little bit. Better saying, adjust the screw so as to at least have less play in the steering box.
:D
Seisrodinhas

Postby Seisrodinhas » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:04 am

Chug wrote:Yes the one with the locknut, you just need to take up the free play, don't overtighten or steering may be stiff, you can do it without jacking up the wheels.

Bad news. I already tightened the screw. However, steering slack continues. I tightened it so much that the nut that locks the screw stopped holding the screw. I had to unscrew the screw in order for the nut to have a chance to get into the splines on the screw.
Seisrodinhas

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:08 am

As I said its been a long time since I did one it may be it needs unscrewing to take up the slack?
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Seisrodinhas » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:04 am

Chug wrote:As I said its been a long time since I did one it may be it needs unscrewing to take up the slack?

I hadn't thought about unscrewing the screw. It's an idea, I'll try it. However, I'm not very hopeful. I think the steering box has seen better days. Thanks a lot for the tips, I was really clueless.
Seisrodinhas

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits