*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Chassis plate details

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Chassis plate details

Postby Galahad » Sun May 10, 2026 3:46 pm

So, got pulled by DVSA last week, surprisingly, wasn't as terrible as I presumed it was going to be.

However, they did find one problem I need to get rectified within 21 days.

Theres no chassis/VIN plate on the truck to show what weights and that it is 100% a 3.5 tonne Transit.

They gave me the benefit of the doubt when weighing it, and weighed it as if it was 3.5 tonne, but said I need to get a plate sorted.

I've looked all over the cab, I cant find it, and they couldnt find it with a cursory search.

Removed by step panels to see behind, its not there, its not in engine bay, its not at the base of the drivers seat belt, its nowhere on passenger side.

A bit of history, its a registered 1999 Q PLATE Transit Smilely era 2.5 di lwb chassis cab, turned into a beavertail recovery truck, and im guessing that in its return to the road when it was registered as a Q plate, the VIN/Chassis plate went walkies.

Its not the end of the world because for £72, I can get a period correct plate made up and DVSA have said they will accept it, but I need to ensure the details I have found on a period correct plate are the right details so I dont stich myself up with wrong weights etc.

Could those more knowledgeable or who have a 3.5 tonne chassis cab Smiley just confirm the details on the uploaded picture are correct please, as it's going to cost me £72 and providing ID and proof of VIN etc to get this done.

Obviously the VIN on the pic is NOT being copied, just that the rest of the details are correct for a white 3.5 tonne chassis cab twinweel Transit.

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Galahad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Bath

Re: Chassis plate details

Postby ernie b » Mon May 25, 2026 2:30 pm

Hi

Basically the details on the right side are production data.
What engine, gearbox, rear end, colour etc.
Means nothing to vosa and most other people

The bits on the left are the weights and are the important bits

First line is max gross vehicle weight 3500kg which is correct
Second line is gross train weight. I'm guessing that one was an auto as 3500 train weight basically means you can't tow a trailer.
I've a pic of on on my phone from 190 chassis cab ambulance conversion which shows train weight of 5500kg.

The next two lines are your front and rear axle max weights

1600 kg front axle which is the same as what I have
You have 2600kg rear axle where as the one I have shows 2060 but the ambulance has a slightly lighter chassis
2600 better for you anyway

The rear axle weight is where recovery transits often get cought out, overweight on axle but not overall.
If you are tempted to "upgrade" your rear axle weight just make sure rear tyre ratings match

Basically the only one I'd look at is the train weight.
With new regs if you're towing a trailer for reward you're in tacho territory anyway
But better have the weight plate correct and the it's one less thing for them to nab you on

I haven't driven anything bigger than a car in the UK for a long time but I'm surprised at it being tested without a weight plate
User avatar
ernie b
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: ireland


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.