*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby matthew2riches » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:04 pm

I got myself a steering rack, pipes, tank, belt and pump today and as it was already off, I didn't get to see how the bits went.

Could someone snap a few pics of where the pipes go from the header tank to the power steering rack? Or you might be able to explain to me and I might twig :lol:

I am going to put the pump and bracket in place along with the tank and then when I have time, pop the joints to the rack and slip the new one in along with the pipes. Hopefully it'll all go to plan :D

Thanks.
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby WildGoose » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:19 pm

Mk5?

I'll be under the bonnet tomorrow, i'll try and remember to snap a few pics.
User avatar
WildGoose
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: South Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby matthew2riches » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:10 pm

WildGoose wrote:Mk5?

I'll be under the bonnet tomorrow, i'll try and remember to snap a few pics.


Yes, Mk5.

Cheers for that. I'd like to know I've done it properly.
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby vanfox » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Just a thought!

Try to run a (thread cutting) tap into the block holes to clean all the gunk and paint out before you mount the pump bracket. The bolts may otherwise jam on it, possibly cracking the casting.

Just had a look, there's a few pics in the Haynes book.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby matthew2riches » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:00 pm

vanfox wrote:Just a thought!

Try to run a (thread cutting) tap into the block holes to clean all the gunk and paint out before you mount the pump bracket. The bolts may otherwise jam on it, possibly cracking the casting.

Just had a look, there's a few pics in the Haynes book.


I don't have a thread cutting tap :?

I do have a Haynes book though and I've seen the pre-1995 diagram - is it the same for my mk5?
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby sidspop » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:05 pm

matthew2riches wrote:
I don't have a thread cutting tap :?

I do have a Haynes book though and I've seen the pre-1995 diagram - is it the same for my mk5?



Get a set pin of the correct thread, that being one that is threaded end to end. Stick it in a vice and cut a slot along one side, using thin blade on sngle grinder.
Wind that in and out, should do fine for cleaning sh*t out of holes.
Image
User avatar
sidspop
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: The Black Country (near to Brummagem, but not the same)

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby WildGoose » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image

Hope these are reasonable for you, if not I can grab some more tomorrow, i've finished and cleaned up for today had quite enough of breaking things :lol:
User avatar
WildGoose
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: South Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby Timbo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:22 pm

If you don't have a thread cutting tap then hacksaw a slot lengthways up a bolt and use this to clean out the threaded holes. You need to take the bolt out several times to clear the kack out of the slot.
Timbo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: Enfield, North London.

Re: Quick Favour If Someone Could......

Postby matthew2riches » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Brilliant WildGoose - CHEERS!

Just what I needed..... :D
White mk5 SWB Ford Transit. Scrapped!
5 Series F10 BMW. Factory standard. Pokey ;)
350 LWB 2.2 TDCI REMAPPED Daily!

Need welding? MoT work undertaken Suffolk/Essex/Norfolk... PM me for a chat :)
User avatar
matthew2riches
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.