*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


New spots, disater

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

New spots, disater

Postby Philious » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:29 am

:shock:
hey all
I have made a bo bo with my spot lights, I wired them into the the full beam without a fuse and relay staraight to neg on the battery and full beam wire :oops: they worked fine for a few hours then they went out as well as the light they were wire up to, have disconnected them but still the light I wired them into still won`t come on any ideas guys :oops:
User avatar
Philious
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: New spots, disater

Postby simplyshaker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 am

Must be the fuse (the original one for the headlights)

Unless you have blown all the bulbs !!!!

I doubt the wires will have suffered.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Re: New spots, disater

Postby griffj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:34 pm

i would go with fuse for the main beam circuit.

or, you have fried the switch on the coloum, of fried the wiring, but most likely the fuse afterall you added an extra 110 Watts to the circuit!
User avatar
griffj
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: in your mind.

Re: New spots, disaster

Postby Philious » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:06 pm

I`ve checked the bulb in the other headlight and works, I`m getting the main beam lights(both) its only when I switch to full beam the one I attached the spots to goes off :shock:
is the fuse for the full beam under the steering wheel? is there a seperate fuse for each headlamp? and which fuse is it?
thanks for the help guys
User avatar
Philious
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: New spots, disater

Postby simplyshaker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:59 pm

could you have bypassed the headlight when you wired up your spot lights, and now you have taken them off, there is no power getting to the bulb ?
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Re: New spots, disater

Postby Philious » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Yeah that had crossed my mind today, I used a scotch block to break into the full beam wire and thought that the wire might of severed I can`t check it until the weekend but will give it a try :)
any thoughts on the fuses?
User avatar
Philious
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: New spots, disater

Postby tranny mhan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Putting a straight feed to the spots from the high beam circuit puts an awful lot of strain on the HB circuit..Much better to have a relay wired into the HB circuit drawing its power direct from the battery via a 25amp fuse instead of drawing power direct from the HB circuit.
Image
User avatar
tranny mhan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:13 pm
Location: Alness Highland

Re: New spots, disater

Postby Philious » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 pm

yes I know :cry:
I remember back in the day with my MK2 Escort and spotlights all over it wired in as I had done :roll:
I do now have the relay and inline fuse fuse ready to go on......lesson learned there.
User avatar
Philious
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: New spots, disater

Postby Steve B » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:51 am

griffj wrote:i would go with fuse for the main beam circuit.

or, you have fried the switch on the coloum, of fried the wiring, but most likely the fuse afterall you added an extra 110 Watts to the circuit!

I did try to take notice of this post but I keep looking at the avatar, sorry!
Steve B
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: south devon


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.