*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Some sound advice on difficult starting

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Some sound advice on difficult starting

Postby johnsgotwood » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Having read all the posts on difficult starting in cold weather I thought I'd put it to the test. Mine was behaving badly in the cold so I was using a jump starter to help boost the battery. The main thing I noticed though was the speed that the starter was turning just didn't seem fast enough, although I know the battery is good and the starter is reasonably new.

Although there is a difference of opinion on here I went for changing the oil and filter, buying into the idea that thick sludgy oil makes the starter sluggish. I can't believe the difference, it now starts first turn of the key even on the coldest morning and you can really tell that the starter is performing well. Also I've noticed that it doesn't seem to labour in third gear as much and I'm not changing down as much for hills, it seems to pick up a lot quicker.

So thanks guys for the sound advice. I was sceptical that it would work but am amazed at the results and at the end of the day even if it didn't, changing the oil is not a bad thing!! I wish I'd found this site when I had my old transit, maybe it wouldn't be in the scrapyard now.

P.S. Drained the coolant and put a new thermostat in, but thats another story.
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Some sound advice on difficult starting

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:20 pm

yeah oil changes are quite commonly neglected in "robust" engines like the Di and the only time it shows is in cold weather :D
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: Some sound advice on difficult starting

Postby alanmercman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:23 pm

my swb bananna engine always pulls better after i change the oil. :D :D
alanmercman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:24 pm
Location: Dudley West Midlands

Re: Some sound advice on difficult starting

Postby johnsgotwood » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:29 pm

Luke wrote:yeah oil changes are quite commonly neglected in "robust" engines like the Di and the only time it shows is in cold weather :D

I've only had the van about 6 weeks now and when I got it the oil light kept coming on every time I got to a junction. The previous owner had trouble putting oil in let alone changing it. So I put some cheap oil in to get me out of trouble with a view to changing it sometime with quality oil. The cold weather just brought the job forward, but I really can't believe the difference.
johnsgotwood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.