*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Fuel starvation on mk5

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Fuel starvation on mk5

Postby hiccup » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi all.
Ive just been through the whole cost of a respray and new wings on my double cab mk5 and now shes runnin really rough. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the injectors but it seems to be getting starved of fuel. Some of the time its fine and then it will hold off loose power and lurch a few times and then pick up again, but never completely dies. It is slightly damp around the lift pump but I think this is oil.

It is also pretty wet around the throttle pin that sits on top of the diesel pump. I have been told this will account for the really difficult starts in the morn but not the lack of fuel when driving. Once it is up and running it starts fine every time until the next morn.

I have it booked in for the seal on the throttle part of the pump to be done because its a work vehcle and I cant afford to keep tinkering with it, but does anyone know what else I or they should be looking for with the fuel shortage.

Thanks, matt.
Doublecab smiley nearing 300,000 but I like to think it will double that.
hiccup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Fuel starvation on mk5

Postby dodgy01 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:26 pm

sounds more like air getting in the fuel system than a lack of diesel
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:32 pm
Location: braintree essex

Re: Fuel starvation on mk5

Postby hiccup » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:25 pm

ah right. if the leak on the seal was bad enough do you think air would get in there. problem is getting much worse. actually had to pull over earlier for a few minutes and if I had my foot continuously down on the accelerator the revs were going up and down as if I was letting on and off over and over.
When I popped the bonnet and did the throttle manually it was fine and then fine when I got back in the cab. Coincidence?

Someone mentioned that you get probs with water in diesel systems, what symptoms would this give?
Doublecab smiley nearing 300,000 but I like to think it will double that.
hiccup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Fuel starvation on mk5

Postby Eggski » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Your not alone, my mk5 crew cab is doing exactly the same. Im changing the timing belt and injectors in the new year and going through the whole engine looking for air/fuel problems. Until then it better keep working or im gona set fire to the troublesome beast!
Custom Trend 2.2 125/290s 64reg (2014) DCIV. (Remapped by Vantuner)
Mk7 2.4 115T350, 57reg (2008) crewcab tipper in Saffron yellow. (De EGR'd and tweeked by Vantuner)
Mk5 2.5 banana, 76ps, V reg (2000) 190 crewcab tipper. (sold but not forgotten)
User avatar
Eggski
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:14 pm
Location: North Shropshire / Welsh Border

Re: Fuel starvation on mk5

Postby hiccup » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Update.

Right, I changed the fuel filter and bled the injectors. The filter was filthy but this still didnt cure the problem. As its a work vehicle and I really need it so I then gave up on it and took it to Tom Day in Keynsham who replaced the seal on top of the diesel pump. It now starts really well but revs a little high presumably due to more fuel getting used rather than lost. Have a cambelt change planned so will sort that at the same time.

While it went to them I asked if this would cause the running issue but they said the fuel leak from the seal is at a pressure that wouldnt allow air back in so I was worried that this may be a more severe problem, maybe even the pump. aaargh! :shock:

As it was they found a dodgy fuel stop solanoid and took it off, cleaned her up and replaced it and she aint missed a beat since, and all I got charged was the seal servicing. Nice guys and am very thankfull that the problem was such an easy fix. Give it a try, hopefully it could be the same easy cause of your problems mate.

Now to fix a hundred other things. gettin there tho. :D
Doublecab smiley nearing 300,000 but I like to think it will double that.
hiccup
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.