*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Thermostat

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Thermostat

Postby Aardvark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:55 am

There was a thread a little while ago about thermostats or something related but it doesn't turn up on the "search" so I'll start again. My 2.5DI seemed to take ages to warm up and the heater never works worth a damn so I changed the thermostat. Not much difference after the change and in the thread someone mentioned that the thermostats are often no good straight from the box. Just lately the van started to overheat, the guage all over the place never settling down so I decided to throw more money at another stat. I had to wait 5 days to get one that cost £17.50 (after 25%off) from a local motor factors. This one is a Quinton Hazell which I believe to be a reputable brand. The QH one has a little air bleed hole in the main disc. The other one didn't have this. The van is running now and I am hoping it will warm up enough eventually to see if it makes any difference to the heater. Still puzzled about the air bleed hole though.... :?:

Just been for a run down the road to see if all is well. Got back to steam coming from under the bonnet. Heater hose has burst from the pressure build up. Another little job! How on earth do you undo the hose from the heater inlet? See the photo. Its the one with the plastic elbow, no jubilee clip and no obvious means of removal. HELP!
Image
Learning to love rust.........
User avatar
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Brittany,France

Re: Thermostat

Postby Frag » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Push the whole hose towards bulkhead,there is a white/clear insert in end squeeze these clips inwards to release tangs then pull hose towards you,be careful there are 2 o rings & a spacer in end of pipe i think (there is on mk6,haven`t done a 5 in ages)
User avatar
Frag
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 5109
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Thermostat

Postby Aardvark » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll try it as soon as I calm down a bit.
Learning to love rust.........
User avatar
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Brittany,France


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.