*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby GBBiker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm

simplyshaker wrote:Still can't work out why the noise would change when I push the clutch in though if it was that, stops when I accelerate or brake still.


When you depress the clutch, you are taking the drive torque away from the propshaft and are essentially free-wheeling :wink:
GBBiker
Wrong Again!
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Blackburn, Lancashire, UK

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby simplyshaker » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Noise was getting worse and worse, then today, coming up a steep hill I got a knocking sound !

I thought great, at least now I know its the center bearing on the propshaft, even though it didn't seem to be in a bad condition.

So, this afternoon, slipped under the van and took the propshaft off. The bearing looks and feels fine, even the rubber doesn't seem to be perished at all.

I don't know what to do now :(

Also this propshaft doesn't have a UJ behind where the bearing is, its a joint thats got a sort of casing around, fastened up by allen bolts (not a rubber GUIBO joint)

I fancy changing the propshaft, I think the UJ's at the front and back are a bit dry and tired.

I just hope that the problem isn't in the diff
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby simplyshaker » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Just rang up a breakers that not too far away (about 20 miles though), he wants 150 euros for one, so I'll have a good check if this is really the problem before splashing out that sort of money.

What would I be looking to pay for a propshaft in England ( SWB 1989)
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby chilledphill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 am

i have same problem on my mk3 lwb 1988 dam sure its propshaft centre bearing. will take some pics today, sounds like you have same prop and diff as me , come back to you later this eve.
chilledphill
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: DORSET

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby chilledphill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:26 pm

chilledphill wrote:i have same problem on my mk3 lwb 1988 dam sure its propshaft centre bearing. will take some pics today, sounds like you have same prop and diff as me , come back to you later this eve.


joy oh joy weather still useless so did not get pics but found this post
3 very good pics of propshaft from mk3 88 -91 and some good info
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10533&start=0&hilit=golf
chilledphill
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: DORSET

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby simplyshaker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks for the link, and yes that is the same set up as mine with the CV joint enclosed in that sort of housing.

My bearing seems to be ok, the to UV joints at both ends seems tight enough. The CV joint in the middle doesn't seem to have any play in it either.

I'm going to put it back on and wait to see if anything just breaks !

Just been to Ford today to get some new propshaft bolts and they can't seem to find which ones should be on there (even took the old bolts !), They can't seem to work out why I haven't the same bolts at both ends. Got to go back with the chassis number now.

Do you think I should take the CV housing apart and give it a good looking at ? Or will this just create me more problems ? I'd like to see what it looks like in there.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby SCARBBY » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:51 am

I had the same sort of noise.My money says it could be the gearbox (layshaft) if nothing else shows any signs.John
SCARBBY
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:45 am

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby chilledphill » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:38 pm

just a thourght you can get very simular noises from damaged or worn wheel bearings. not looked back over thread to check if anyone mentioned this. try some cornering,if you can get up to speed and drop it into neutral and coast round a left and right hand turn to see if noise gets louder or stops, ok just noticed gb biker mentioned wheel bearings. give it a go
chilledphill
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: DORSET

Re: Noise, sounds like I'm pulling a cart !

Postby simplyshaker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:49 pm

I tried that and it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll give it a go again, but first I have to get these bolts to put the propshaft back on. The front flange bolts aren't the same as the ones at the back, not a problem, but Ford need my chasis number (didn't have it on me) to find out which ones they are.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 10:29 am
Location: Grenoble/France

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.