*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


which oil

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

which oil

Postby Neilos » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm planning to change the oil in my 2.0 dohc petrol tomorrow, the question is what grade of oil should I use?
I only ever use the top quality stuff and now my new engine is in I don't want to knacker it up with the wrong grade. When the new engine went in we put new oil (5w30 supplied by my local ford dealer) in and a new filter on, but the oil has gone a bit shitty after only a couple of thousand miles, and I thought that maybe we put the wrong stuff in.
Neilos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: Hinckley, Leicestershire, Midlands

Re: which oil

Postby darkbluevanman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:58 pm

no, 5w30 is fine or 5w40 or at the very worse 10w40, has hydraulic tappets so needs a thinnish oil. semi synth will be fine with regular changes (ideally every 6k with filter every 12K)
User avatar
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 15903
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: which oil

Postby winterheating » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Neilos wrote:I'm planning to change the oil in my 2.0 dohc petrol tomorrow, the question is what grade of oil should I use?
I only ever use the top quality stuff and now my new engine is in I don't want to knacker it up with the wrong grade. When the new engine went in we put new oil (5w30 supplied by my local ford dealer) in and a new filter on, but the oil has gone a bit shitty after only a couple of thousand miles, and I thought that maybe we put the wrong stuff in.


if its gone shitty its doing its job, cleaning, or possible contaminated by either fuel or coolant so worth checking, you cant do to many oil changes.
get some of the formula e ford stuff 5w-30 semi, if you got excell last time, think the formula stuff is castrol and excell stuff is made by shell.
User avatar
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm
Location: Co.Durham Darlington

Re: which oil

Postby Neilos » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks for that 5w30 it is. I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine last night and he reckons 5w30 is the stuff to go for as well. He also said that the oil may have gone prematurely shitty because there may have been quite a lot of the old oil stuck in the oilways and galleries and it is now getting flushed out.
Neilos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: Hinckley, Leicestershire, Midlands


Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.