*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Vg turbo for 2.5 Di...a compromise

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Vg turbo for 2.5 Di...a compromise

Postby defi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

F111ORY wrote:Hi, No the standard Landrover gearbox is used with an adaptor ring made by a company in Chesterfield. Transit flywheel and pressure plate is used with a Landrover friction plate

The Transit gearbox would be such an improvement on the Series landrover box.

Regards Rick

Not bad with an LT77/LT230 though :)
defi
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Rember seeing one fitted with a 5 pot york (A Series) and another with a 2.8 Iveco Daily lump which looked quite pro :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby F111ORY » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi, Interesting comment about the Iveco engine in a landy, I think santana in Spain fitted this engine to their Landys.

Re the LT77 and LT230 being fitted in Landys. I got quite excited when I learned that Landys had the LT77 and Transits had the LT75. I thought I may be able to mate a landy transfer case to a Transit box. I then found that in a Landy the LT stands for Leyland transmissions and in the Transit LT stands for light truck ( unless someone knows otherwise! ).

Regards Rick
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby F111ORY » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi Again, Oldabe asked me to post a picture of my transit powered Landy and how the exhaust gets by the lift pump.

The picture below is of another engine I have on a test stand as I intend to connect it to a Dynometer and see just how much power it produces. This will be the topic of another thread , coming soon! This engine is from an early tranny and as you can see it dose not have a lift pump, like the one in my Landy, so the exhaust in my landy conversion can drop down behind the turbo.

The next two pictures show the Landy now I have fitted an intercooler. The air pipe from the turbo drops down to the chassis rail and then comes up infront of the radiator where the intercooler , a modified Landy 200 TDi unit , is mounted. The air pipe then comes up out of the slam panel and onto the inlet manifold.

The blue thing sticking out of the inlet manifold is the remote probe of a digital fridge thermometer, not really needed now I have the intercooler, but prior to its fitment I saw the thermometer hit 100deg C towing a trailer up a hill, can't be good for the piston crowns!? The engine came from a 1989 LWB transit and I think is a 68Hp unit . I think the pump is something early like 062 or 064? It still has the orange injectors fitted ! Must treat it to a set of white ones sometime.

Regards Rick
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby øldabe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 am

i know this thread has gone off topic. sorry to the OP :oops: but he did mention land rover something something and it set us off...

clever set up Rick and similar to how the intercooler is plumbed in my SIII.

someone added a grill and bonnet off an early 110 to hide the intercooler which is mounted in front of the original breakfast. so truck looks like a stage 1 and sounds like a transit! takes me an hour to explain what it is.

I have disabled my lift pump since it went bad. i put in an electric diesel pump back by the tank and it eliminated many of the fueling issues i was having. namely, lots of air in the fuel filter, courtesy of a bad lift pump diaphram?

I plan on just keeping a spare electric pump in my kit for the invitable.

Will the transit motor run without a lift pump onnit? Will the bosch injector pump draw enough fuel on its own to work?
øldabe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby F111ORY » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 am

Hi, Yes the Bosch pump will draw fuel from the tank through a filter ok, as long as there is some fuel in the pump. I dont think a brand new dry pump would do this , but I find when I change the fuel filter you just start her up and floor the throttle when it starts to run rough and it will run on what is in the pump untill fresh fuel comes through. I think the lift pump was fitted from about 1992 onwards. I dont know why ford did this , perhaps some one can tell us ?

Oldabe, how did your US Landrover come to have a Transit engine fitted if there is no Transits in the US? ( I have read that Transits are to be sold both sides of the pond from 2013!)

Regards Rick
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V184 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 am

They can be a pain to bleed from scratch :roll: always best to fill the filter when changing & same with the injection pump, dont think the factory bosch turbo had a lift pump ? know the used the early injectors (cav with 2 nut clamp) :D
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby øldabe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Rick my truck was converted in the UK and then imported here in 2002
where it just sat in a garage. I bought it off of ebay and drove it
home from a neighboring state. About 400 miles over a mountain range.
It was awful slow and noisy, because the yellow know was down the whole way :lol:

Now just finished a major engine service and making it reliable and
sorta comfy for a 5000 mile trip to the Baja in january.

Im fond of my transit motored landy.
øldabe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

F111ORY wrote: Transits had the LT75

I think you mean MT75 - thats whats in your pictures anyway :wink:

There were mk3 (86-91) transits with bosch pumps - but only the turbo versions. The Mk4 & mk5 (91-00) initially used LUCAS epic injection pumps (with lift pumps - they are required for the epic) for the turbos, and lucas CAV for the non turbos.

The block is the same casting, so I guess it made sense to install the lift pump on both? When the CAV pump was dropped in 92/93 the bosch pump was fitted. Bosch do run without the lift pump, but are much easier to bleed with it in place.
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby F111ORY » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi, Re MT75, Sorry my mistake.

Regards Rick
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Guy88 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Im going to be fitting a VNT to a Di

Using a similar set up to this

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showt ... omsearch=1
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby andypdq » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 am

Hello all, not checked back on this one recently, so sorry for not responding to all the interest.

Latest news is, I have scored an IHI vnt turbo from a 2.5 Isuzu Rodeo Denver. LOL, I didn't know what one of those was either! Having said that, its a 2010 vintage with 10,000 miles on it, ebay £56.00, on inspection it's perfect, no appreciable wear in anything. I intend on building a control system similar to the one referenced in the VW link mentioned earlier, with a twist, variable boost control, based on a mechanical linkage idea I stole from a steam locomotive reversing valve gear, designed in about 1800 and something :D Who needs an ecu?

BTW I grew up with Land Rover, my favourite vehicle, one problem with Di in LR, if you do any serious off roading there is no way of stopping loads of crap getting under the cam belt and throwing it, LR engine has sealed timing case with gasket, Di doesn't.

I'm not going to be able to do much till summer because of work etc, will update when I've got my finger out!

Peace.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TigerDan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:16 pm

here's another turbo-bodge in a landy. this one mounts exhaust forward and is inter-cooled.

New member here, from Northern California. I realize this is an old thread, but it's relevant to me as I'm in the process of swapping a 2.5 Di which has had turbo conversion done to it into my 1961 Land Rover SII 88. In fact, the engine I'm swapping in is the very one in these these pics posted by øldabe in Portland, Oregon. I wound up with the badly rusted remains of the rolling chassis a couple of years ago, the body of the SIII 109 that was on it originally was swapped onto a new chassis and repowered with a Chevy LS engine, and I got what was left over after it had sat in Sacramento, Ca. for several years.

I've encountered a few challenges along the way. I actually just set the engine in place for a test fitting two days ago. I suspect that the SIII it was originally installed in might have been a 6-cylinder model, as there doesn't seem to be quite as much room for the engine as it sits as there apparently was in the original conversion. Yes, it was RHD and mine is LHD so that accounts for some of it, but for example I had to remove the lift pump as there is simply no room for it, it fouls the tunnel. Is there any problem with running an electric lift pump? How much fuel pressure do I need from the lift pump?

Also, the modifications done to the original exhaust manifold to adapt the turbo were...interesting. The turbo mount was welded onto the manifold at the top, near the front while the original outlet at the bottom rear simply had the exhaust pipe capped and welded shut after the flange. I will need to cut this entire assembly off and weld in a patch as it fouls the bulkhead. I've looked at pics of the various manifolds used on this engine and there doesn't appear to be anything else that will bolt on that is suitable. As I see it, the original turbo manifold positions the turbo down below the manifold, and there simply isn't enough room for it on this vehicle so I'll need to stay with a high mount. But from what I've already read here, it appears I have another option which is flipping the manifold and mounting it upside-down with the bolt holes elongated, and then I would just have to cap off the added-on turbo mount and mount the turbo to the original outlet.

You can see from the pics above that the fabricated intake adapter on this thing is a bit of a bodge, I'm planning to clean it up but
I'm also wondering if there is anything to be gained by switching to a banana intake, or stock turbo intake. I believe the banana intake was good for an additional 7PS or so over the stock non-turbo intake, and from the long intake runners I'd assume that it adds some decent torque down low.

Also, it appears that the turbo used on the conversion was the same one used on the factory turbo engines. It seems to be pretty tiny, but I suppose that means it will spool up quickly. Since this was a N/A engine converted to turbo, would adding a larger turbo be too much for it to handle?

There are no sources of parts for these engines in the U.S. as they were never imported here, so I'll have to find some items over in England and have them shipped. I've looked at the Transitcenter.ie website and it appears that all of the used Mk3/4 parts I might need, such as the banana or turbo intakes, idler pulley under the fan clutch and crankshaft pulley are listed as not available. Hoping that some users here on the forum might have them.
TigerDan

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits