*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Advice on engine oil

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:07 pm

I have just bought a 1992 Transit Campervan.

I am guessing it hasn't been serviced for a while so I thought I would buy the gear from eurocarparts and do it myself.
I have added the oil/fuel/air filters to the basket but when I went to add the oil it was advising Shell Engine Oil (Helix HX7 AF 5w30 5Ltr).

I would have thought that this oil would have been too new for this type of engine? When I was servicing my narrowboat engine (1989 Isuzu) I was advised to use http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?f ... id=9217985
Mainly cause its graded CC (engine manual said CD but it was the closest I could find) and it is slightly thicker which was recommended on a narrowboat forum for an older engine.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

Many thanks for any help or advice!
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:08 pm

I have had a further look and I think this might be the stuff I need: http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/details/FOR ... ngine-oil/

Can someone please confirm before I order?
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby tlsjk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:20 pm

yeah 5w-30 Semi Synthetic is what you need for the di, but you will need more than 4.5l :wink:
Wiggers Welding & Car Repairs 07931230167
Cargo Van, 80 Series, Diesel 2.5 (70PS)now banana (76PS), 5-Speed Manual - MT75, Axle Ratio:4.56

IF ITS NOT FORD, SCRAP IT!!!
User avatar
tlsjk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: norwich

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:23 pm

tlsjk wrote:yeah 5w-30 Semi Synthetic is what you need for the di, but you will need more than 4.5l :wink:


Great, thanks.

I would have thought 4.5L would do for one service?
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm

You are right, did another search and I will need about 6.5? is that right?

I have ordered two anyway :)


Not bad for a good service:

1x TRANSIT 2.5 MK 4 1991-1994 Air Filter @ £4.91 = £4.91
1x TRANSIT 2.5 MK 4 1991-1994 Front Brake Pad Set @ £12.68 = £12.68
2x TRANSIT 2.5 MK 4 1991-1994 Engine Oil @ £14.83 = £29.66
1x TRANSIT 2.5 MK 4 1991-1994 Oil Filter @ £4.08 = £4.08
1x TRANSIT 2.5 MK 4 1991-1994 Fuel Filter @ £8.56 = £8.56

Sub Total £59.89
Delivery £6.00
Total £65.89
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby Mfr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Yeah, 6.2-6.5 L ad 5/30 Here is a god thread.... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127343
User avatar
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh / Sunniest Perthshire

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby tlsjk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:48 pm

yeah 6 - 6.5l will do it, just remember to allow for the new filter to fill up :wink:
best to fill to the full mark (on flat ground), start for about a minute, turn off and leave to settle for 10 - 15 minutes, check and top-up level
also remember to fill the new fuel filter with new diesel or injector cleaner
Wiggers Welding & Car Repairs 07931230167
Cargo Van, 80 Series, Diesel 2.5 (70PS)now banana (76PS), 5-Speed Manual - MT75, Axle Ratio:4.56

IF ITS NOT FORD, SCRAP IT!!!
User avatar
tlsjk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: norwich

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm

tlsjk wrote:yeah 6 - 6.5l will do it, just remember to allow for the new filter to fill up :wink:
best to fill to the full mark (on flat ground), start for about a minute, turn off and leave to settle for 10 - 15 minutes, check and top-up level
also remember to fill the new fuel filter with new diesel or injector cleaner


Sound advice, thank you. Assuming the parts arrive on time, it looks like a job for next weekend.

Would you all do this annually? (Assuming I will be doing about 3k a year in it).
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby tlsjk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

yeah i would, other than the brake pads, but i would still check them and the rear brakes when doing a service.
also might be worth doing a coolant change, 5l of :arrow: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_866 would do it using a 50/50 mix with water (not needed annually but worth doing if you dont know when it was last done)
Wiggers Welding & Car Repairs 07931230167
Cargo Van, 80 Series, Diesel 2.5 (70PS)now banana (76PS), 5-Speed Manual - MT75, Axle Ratio:4.56

IF ITS NOT FORD, SCRAP IT!!!
User avatar
tlsjk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: norwich

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 pm

tlsjk wrote:yeah i would, other than the brake pads, but i would still check them and the rear brakes when doing a service.
also might be worth doing a coolant change, 5l of :arrow: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_866 would do it using a 50/50 mix with water (not needed annually but worth doing if you dont know when it was last done)


I found a receipt from last year that had 5L of coolant on it so I guess it was done then. Just couldn't find any receipts for a service or service parts.
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby tlsjk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:51 pm

also might be worth doing the gear oil
Wiggers Welding & Car Repairs 07931230167
Cargo Van, 80 Series, Diesel 2.5 (70PS)now banana (76PS), 5-Speed Manual - MT75, Axle Ratio:4.56

IF ITS NOT FORD, SCRAP IT!!!
User avatar
tlsjk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: norwich

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:59 pm

tlsjk wrote:also might be worth doing the gear oil


I have never changed gearbox oil before on any vehicle, is it easy to do and is there a particular oil I need?
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby tlsjk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:08 pm

do you know what gearbox you have :?:
and no its not hard
Wiggers Welding & Car Repairs 07931230167
Cargo Van, 80 Series, Diesel 2.5 (70PS)now banana (76PS), 5-Speed Manual - MT75, Axle Ratio:4.56

IF ITS NOT FORD, SCRAP IT!!!
User avatar
tlsjk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: norwich

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby RHodgett » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 pm

No idea I'm afraid, all I know is that its auto transmission.

I'll take a look under the hood when I am back home in a few days..
Owner of a 1992 Ford Transit 150 2.5 Diesel Lwb A
User avatar
RHodgett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Leeds

Re: Advice on engine oil

Postby tlsjk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 pm

goto :arrow: http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSele ... D.fcvas507
put in your reg and it will tell you :)
but as its auto i think its an A4LD gearbox, and i dont know what oil it need but there will be someone on here that will know and will be able to give you a "how to" aswell
Wiggers Welding & Car Repairs 07931230167
Cargo Van, 80 Series, Diesel 2.5 (70PS)now banana (76PS), 5-Speed Manual - MT75, Axle Ratio:4.56

IF ITS NOT FORD, SCRAP IT!!!
User avatar
tlsjk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: norwich

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.