*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk3 window channel

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk3 window channel

Postby Transitmotorhome » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi all. I have a mk3 transit motorhome. So as you can imagine it is sat around a lot more than other vans. The other day I shut the passenger front door and the window dropped down. The winder still go's up and down but dose nothing to the window. I took the door card off to find the metal strip has completed rotted away, leaving the rub on the bottom of the window. I have the finis no 6167070 but can't find anything even ford don't do this part anymore. So dose anyone know where I can get a pair or if the mk4 & 5 have the same part if so what part no would be a great help
Transitmotorhome

Re: Mk3 window channel

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 pm

The mk4/5 part is very similar but is not interchangeable (soley due to the size of the channel the roller on the end of the arm sits in.

It may be possible to use a mk4/5 channel with a mk4/5 arm - I haven't tried!

The other option is to find a mk3 thats being broken and buy the glass complete with the channel. I am fairly sure the channel isn't handed?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:55 pm

In the meantime while you wait for the correct parts to arrive, here's how I secured my back window on my old Merc when the winder mechanism failed..

Get some bits of wood. I used small square sections of pine, about 3/4 inch sqaure.
Buy some M6 threaded rod, some washers and some wing nuts.
Cut to slightly longer than needed to prop the window up.
Drill holes through the piece of wood, make them 8mm wide or so, so that you have some slack for the next step ...
What you are doing is making an A frame to prop up the window...

A-frame.jpg

You can adjust the length of the two rods relative to each other to make the A frame taller or shorter as needed. And if it's not long enough to reach because you miscalculated, put wood in the bottom of the door and put the A frame on top of that.

Will keep the van nice and secure until you can get it fixed :)

The Merc went around like that for about a year and a half, and passed an MOT. I never did get it fixed as it was silly money ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby BUNGAL » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:25 pm

I have a mk3 in breaking in Bristol, I recon I can box well enough to chance postage if required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BUNGAL
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Transitmotorhome » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for replying. All I can say is what a crap way of doing things by Ford. I have new 2nd hand doors as mine were rotted out by the front little window and the 2nd hand doors are going the same way. Wood maybe the way to go if can't get hold of parts anymore. What a pain.
Transitmotorhome

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:17 pm

MinorMatt wrote:The mk4/5 part is very similar but is not interchangeable (soley due to the size of the channel the roller on the end of the arm sits in.

It may be possible to use a mk4/5 channel with a mk4/5 arm - I haven't tried!

The other option is to find a mk3 thats being broken and buy the glass complete with the channel. I am fairly sure the channel isn't handed?

How about getting a secondhand mk4/5 assembly and interchanging the rollers on the Mk3 mechanism for Mk4/5 ones. A possibility? I.e mk4/5 runner with mk4/5 rollers, on a mk3 mechanism ...
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:42 pm

Or if the MK3 rollers are larger than the mk4/5 ones ... file or machine them down. Going the other way is harder. Better to start off with a larger roller than needed and machine down.

If the rollers are plastic, and the mk4/5 ones larger ... I wonder if adapters could be machined (or 3d printed) and glued on? Just a thought. I have all these great ideas on how to fix things, and few of the capabilities or resources; but that's why you get engineering shops, for when you get really stuck.

I wish I had a lathe and a 3D printer ... :)

As for making them bigger ... I once got a malfunctioning record player working (too slow) by building up the spindle with Araldite, and then machining it down to round (and therefore gearing it up) with a razor blade. That had the benefit of being its own lathe, because I just engaged the motor :). So that's how I got a fully functioning Amstrad vertical turntable system for £15 when I was 17. PS Yes it was crap :D
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Keef » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:55 am

I know this is an old thread but this may help someone out.

It's just happened to one of my windows and I found that Central Panels now do galvanised replacements for £17.50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... SwAj9dv9X6
Keef
MK3 Massive

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits