*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lift pump mk5 - Strange problem/Leak

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Lift pump mk5 - Strange problem/Leak

Postby killer_one » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:15 am

Hello,

I am struggling in the last days with a very strange problem, my transit a mk5 2.5td converted to bosch pump, have a leak in the lift pump, i had changed the original one half a year ago by a lift pump sold by transitpartsuk.
Everything went fine with it, until the last month she start leaking and i was thinking the fault was the o´ring (it wasn´t) last weekend after a trip of 250 kms, when i stoped the van i felt a very strong smell of diesel, under the van the floor was sooked in diesel, and what i find was very strange, the leak was from the lift pump but from a small hole the pump have (like a ventilation hole)

You can see the hole in this picture, the pump have two.

After i find the leak i went to a ford dealer and bought a original lift pump, to change the one bought in transitpartsuk, after 5 days and 580 kms the new pump start leaking again from the same place!

Can some one help me please!
killer_one
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Lift pump mk5 - Strange problem/Leak

Postby danv90 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:14 am

I'm told oil leaks are very common from the lift pump.
I myself had a leak a few months back which I bought a new o ring for.
Strangely though my lift pump is only 6 months old with o ring and from transit parts. Seems there pattern isn't great?

Sounds like the hole is a overflow? Sounds like it would be due to pressure.
Maybe someone has experience with this
danv90
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumptruck » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:16 pm

I've had problems with leaking pipe connectors that push onto the lift pump, think the o-ring inside the connector was faulty.

Had to replace the original pipework with 8mm fuel hose between the lift pump and the diesel filter housing.

Also encountered split or worn through fuel pipes over the years that make identifying the leak difficult, would have thought it very unlikely that both lift pumps have failed he same way.
dumptruck
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby killer_one » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:18 pm

I have sure the leak is from the litle bottom hole in the lift pump, the hoses and connectores are fine, i alredy checked, yesterday i removed the fuel filter (changed 7000kms ago in the last service), and after i take it off, was comming a large amount of diesel from the body were the filter connects... :?
killer_one
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mkgld » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:43 pm

killer_one wrote:the leak was from the lift pump but from a small hole the pump have (like a ventilation hole) !

Hi, I am facing exactly the same issue, my mk5 have a constant leak from this little hole.
I changed the pump one year and a half ago, bought it in amazon.

How did you solve it?
Is just a matter of buying a new one?

Thanks!
mkgld
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby npjrogers » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:20 am

Mk5 2.5 di.. same problem.. so I bought a ford supplied lift pump @ £145… It still went after 11 months driving but it was under warranty so Ford are doing a free replacement. Surely someone must have found a better solution. What if we were to seal up the vent hole.. perhaps it would fix the symptom but not the problem. Any thoughts please..
Sic Transit Gloria
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Bruce e » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:26 am

Has anyone fitted an electric pump

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
Bruce e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits