*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 Rear brake judder?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Mk5 Rear brake judder?

Postby dumper » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:05 am

Maybe worth having the drums off could be full of dust/ linings down to Metal or something come adrift inside but before you remove the drums mark them up so you can put them back in the same place if they go back different you can get brake judder-and then it’s trial and error to stop it
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wojciech » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:48 pm

I'll throw in my few pennies ...
The brake drums are made of cast iron. If its alloy composition is correct and properly cooled after casting, gray cast iron is produced. It should be like that, it has a high coefficient of friction, but it is soft.
Such a correct casting should be seasoned for several months - the longer the better. Only then is it machined to the required shapes and dimensions.
According to my observations, this is the production technology of the original drums sold by Ford, but they are very expensive. Ford original brake drums are correct.
The problem starts with replacements. They may have the wrong composition (too little carbon) and cooled down too quickly - then no gray iron is produced, but white or mottled. Such a brake drum will be ... tragic. White cast iron is very hard and has a low coefficient of friction.
Even if the castings are correct, substitutes are not seasoned, but are immediately processed and sent for sale. This is where our problem lies. Such drums are most often ovalized, curved or warped with respect to the centering hole.

There is a workshop in Warsaw specializing in Transits for 40 years. Here, the brake drums are first mounted on a precision tool lathe. The base is the central hole, the friction surface and a contact surface on the hub are rolled. The drums processed in this way are attached to the car, but with the recommendation that if there is still vibration, then after two or three months the gentle rolling process must be repeated. That's how I had cheap replacement brake drums installed in them and I can say that it was good.

Regardless, you can move the wheels front to rear, you can try to turn them in relation to the brake drum, or you can try the same with the drums in relation to the hub. I've done it many times - sometimes even with positive results, Sometimes ... :lol:
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Heathen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 am

Thanks for the responses.

Before I get to messing around with Drums/Wheels, there's nothing to adjust or check here first, is there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:05 am

No I wouldn’t expect the lav brake valve to give brake judder its there to stop the wheels locking up when van is empty the only problem I’ve had with them is when they seize up when mine went it had no rear brakes and would just lock up the front.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Heathen » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:03 am

Mfr wrote:You could try eliminating the wheels by swapping the fronts to the back. Have you replaced the hardware? spring, etc. Are the handbrake cables free and even? Is there any signs of damage to the brake lines along the axle? denting or kinking?

As I'm still having this same issue (juddering and rear wheels locking up) - in relation to the quoted post;

* I also had a puncture, but all four wheels were replaced with new (balanced at the same time). Does that eliminate this as being a possible cause? Also, a torque wrench *was* used when refitting the wheels.

*There were no issues before the new wheels, and no other components we're damaged/replaced. That's not to say that this didn't emerge, and gradually get worse coincidentally at the same time. Could this only leave contamination, inside the drum, as being the next step of investigation?
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits