*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk3 1991 Voltage regulator

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk3 1991 Voltage regulator

Postby rascalmarskell » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I know this has been posted before and I have looked at these, but I seem to have no voltage regulator behind my fuel and temp gauge. I though, following reading the other posts, there would be either a little silver box or possibly a 3 pronged regulator. Both my fuel and temp gauges stopped working at the same time! So, I’ve dismantled dash and removed clocks but found nothing that looks remotely like either. Here’s some photos of what it looks like. What have I missed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rascalmarskell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk3 1991 Voltage regulator

Postby wojciech » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:26 pm

rascalmarskell wrote:I know this has been posted before and I have looked at these, but I seem to have no voltage regulator behind my fuel and temp gauge. I though, following reading the other posts, there would be either a little silver box or possibly a 3 pronged regulator. Both my fuel and temp gauges stopped working at the same time! So, I’ve dismantled dash and removed clocks but found nothing that looks remotely like either. Here’s some photos of what it looks like. What have I missed?

This a little silver box with three termonals (one connected to the ground, second to +12V (fuse nr 5/10A) - in plug black/green wire, third conected to two bolts (red arrows on the picture) holdings gauges on circuit board. Voltage stabiliser in little silver box for gauges circuits should be mounted on opposite side of circuit board.
Did you check fuse nr. 5? Do it first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby rascalmarskell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 pm

wojciech thank you. I’ve found the stabiliser. It’s crackered. The middle prong to earth is missing completely. I’ve taken photos. I’ve got a new stabiliser I think is correct (based on mk4 post about same issue. I’m now going to try to drill out the river to replace it. My query is I can see where 2 prongs attach, but not the middle one. Any advice? Thank you
rascalmarskell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rascalmarskell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Alternatively to all this, any idea where I could get a working one?
rascalmarskell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:23 pm

rascalmarskell wrote:The middle prong to earth is missing completely. I’ve taken photos. Thank you

I touched it 25 years ago... I cannot remember it...
Maybe the middle prong is curved below stabiliser and however it has ground?
Circuit board has two output ground pins (in plug brown wires), if you need ground for middle prong, do by-pass to path connected to this pins.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits