*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternator probably duff - fix or upgrade?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Alternator probably duff - fix or upgrade?

Postby The combat wombat » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 pm

The charge light illuminates at start up and won't go out until you give it some revs, so I disconnected the battery when the engine was running and put my multimeter on the alternator. It's only putting out 11.5v at tickover, although it goes up to 14.4v if you give it some beans, but as my van doesn't have a tacho, I have no idea at what revs it starts to output a decent charge voltage. I disconnected the leads and cleaned up all the connectors, but this had no effect.

I've been told it may just be the brushes that need changing, but as this is a camper, thought it might be worth upgrading to a new alt with 90A output, as I have fitted a Voltage sensing split charge for the leisure battery.

If i do upgrade, is this one the right one?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-F ... 2215374976

I have the Haynes manual and it looks relatively simple to remove: Disconnect battery, Unplug vacuum lines, remove leads, slacken off the adjustment bolt, then undo the two retaining bolts. Is that correct?

Cheers
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Alternator probably duff - fix or upgrade?

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 pm

If you get the 90A one a bit of wiring might be needed.

it's been done recently.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=186979
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Alternator probably duff - fix or upgrade?

Postby Islander71 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:57 pm

I think its normal to not charge at tickover - mine is the same - so long as the light goes out and it starts charging with a few revs. 14.4 volts is correct. Think you can damage the voltage regulator if you run disconnected from battery, though I may be wrong on that.
Islander71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits