*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Propshaft CV joint splined connector (gearbox side)

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Propshaft CV joint splined connector (gearbox side)

Postby Snow white » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Hello forum members,
1991 SWB 2.5di
I live in the Netherlands with my Dutch wife, I've brought her over here with our two dogs, one's a Patterdale the other's a Lab cross, to the west coast of Scotland via Newcastle/Ijmuiden for three weeks touring holiday and to visit to my elderly and not too healthy at the moment father.
On our 3rd day here we were approaching a roundabout when we heard a noise as if our exhaust had fell off and was dragging along the ground.
I got out looked underneath but couldn't see anything hanging, got back in and stuck it in gear but it wouldn't move.
On closer inspection I could see that the propshaft was broken in two close to the CV joint in the middle.
I called recovery and got taken back to my father's home where its been sitting for the last couple of days.
I called Ford but they couldn't help me, I've been phoning round the local scrappies looking for a complete propshaft but there's not much to be had for a Mk3.
I'll get down to the nitty gritty now the part that is actually broken is the forward part of the joint the splined socket that connects to the prop section going to the gearbox. This female splined socket has disintegrated leaving my snowy white Westfalia Nugget motionless and forlorn and me pulling my hair out.
I got some info from a conversation I found here (petercb, acarpen9) that the CV joint is the same joint that was fitted to VW Golf/Polo cars from the 9ties. With this info I was able to find one for a Transit on Ebay.
So my question is: if I can manage to source one of these CV joints for a VW Golf/Polo or the Transit version that fits my propshaft does somebody know if I can also get the splined connector part to replace my disintegrated part. I managed to find a photo of a part from a Ford Capri propshaft that looks very similar to what I am after (thanks to martinc92) the piece on the right hand side of the photo.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/mar ... anBn/?ref=
Thanks in advance.
Willie.
PS. I would have attached a couple of images but I can't see how to do that, maybe I don't have permission yet I'm a fairly new member.
Even stuff that's broken might fix itself if ignored for long enough.
Snow white
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Propshaft CV joint splined connector (gearbox side)

Postby vanfox » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Assuming you have an MT 75 gearbox these are pics of the propshaft. The pic you showed is nowt like a Transit shaft. Any way, look at the pics and see if they are any help.
If not admin can delete the pics.
WP_20180909_003.jpg

The last? pic is the horseshoe for which you may have lost the bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Propshaft CV joint splined connector (gearbox side)

Postby Snow white » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.
Glad to say the panic is over. I took the bolts out of the CV joint and gave it a knock to get the broken end off and the end bolt fell out with the thick flat washer. Luckily the connector had shaken itself apart and was still complete. The thread on the bolt was totally worn away but the internal thread on the splined end of the front propshaft section looks in very good nick. Its just a case of bolting it back together. Of course I'll now replace the support rubber and center bearing while its all exposed. Should be on the road again by Monday afternoon.
Even stuff that's broken might fix itself if ignored for long enough.
Snow white
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits