*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Should I complain??:vs FORD dealer : smiley coolant leak

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Should I complain??:vs FORD dealer : smiley coolant leak

Postby 97transit2.5D » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:38 am

Hi Guys...I Thought about doing my own pump/timing belt/tensioner...but chickened out and gave the job to my FORD DEALER in Christchurch New Zealand,(wont name them..at the moment)

because of coolant coming out of the bottom plastic black timing cover.(ie pump leaking).
THEY INSTALLED A NEW PUMP , TENSIONER AND TIMING BELT on 12 SEPT 2018 with 20000km 1year warranty.

almost immediately after this coolant stated to drip coolant in a different place,but possibly related to the repair.

The coolant stream of begins above a coolant pipe. i can see that gasket for that pipe is dry. . [/b]

IT actually comes from where the alloy plate joins the engine block >>I can see it has a big gasket. This gasket is directly behind the timing system and pump assembly.

Now I see there is a blog for this .see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60615

DO I HAVE ANY RIGHT TO COMPLAIN??? it was not leaking there before. is it related to the repair?? !!!!!! Or do I have no rights at all???
see PICTURE BELOW.COULD THEY HAVE DISTURBED THE GASKET DURING THE REPAIR???? or am i out of luck???. and looking at the same labour charge to repair the gasket leak this plus some huge gasket cost.???
97_TRANSIT_COOLANT_LEAK.jpg

thanks Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
97transit2.5D
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Should I complain??:vs FORD dealer : smiley coolant leak

Postby ernie b » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am

They SHOULD not have had to disturb the plate while doing timing belt/water pump.
However should not and did not are different things.
Perhaps the mechanic removed a wrong bolt by accident but getting them to admit it or proving it will be hard.

The gasket that is leaking is cheap but there is a lot of labour to change it.

Radiator out for access, remove timing belt and water pump, crank and injector pump pulleys, the injector pump is bolted onto that plate so needs to be removed(you might leave it on the rear bracket but out ot the way is best), think the oil pump aswell, I can't remember about alternator and power steering pump.
Probably a few bits I'm forgetting but just simple nut and bolt stuff.
Buddy of mine done one in about a day and he wouldn't have huge mechanical experience.

I'd talk to the guys at the dealers first, probably won't do it as a freebe but they might offer you a deal on the labour. Just make sure and get an agreed price before they start if you go down that road
ernie b
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits