*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting Alloys to Mk3 camper van and parts

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Fitting Alloys to Mk3 camper van and parts

Postby Rsturbo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi
I'm in the process of starting a restoration on my Mk3 camper van. It's a 2 litre pinto with a 5 speed box.

I have a brand new set of 16 inch Alloys to fit but need to source suitable nuts for the wheels. Anyone know where I can source them from?

Also a good source for new body panels etc?

Many thanks
Rsturbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Fitting Alloys to Mk3 camper van and parts

Postby wojciech » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:41 am

About alloys for Mk3 with five studs:
- front hub in Mk3/4/5 is not flat as in Mk6/7, but has outstanding screws for disc brakes fixing. So alloys should have on inside interface special pockets for screw heads. Some of them have quite good pockets, some too little (as in lower link), some haven't.
- rear hub on Timken rear axle are quite flat, without centering ring, so rear wheels are centering on tapered wheel nuts. So you can not use alloys with flat screw sockets, they should be modify for tapered - look for lower link (only sometimes by special nuts with sleeve, but alloys have bigger wholes)

Some older alloys models are intended for Mk3/4/5 - they are ready to fix without problems for this models. Some new models of alloys can not be used at all for Mk3.

Tapered wheels nuts for alloys you can buy on ebay.
For ex.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-24-Wh ... ear%3A1991

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14913

JET wrote:Here's how I modified some mk7 alloys to fit my mk5 Tourneo with only hand tools available.
This is how it looks now :D :D

I bought some used alloys from dba (a danish division of ebay) for 200£ - in very good condition and with good tyres :D
In the beginning my plan was to drill out the holes to 20mm and then mount them with "Toyota" style flat nuts - but I couldn't find them anywhere in Denmark :evil: (and I just couldn't wait - so ebay was not an option)

So instead I countersunk the holes to fit normal 60 degrees alloy nuts using this tool on a normal drill :D

With a mix of caution and patience it was actually an easy job - and the wheels are perfectly in balance - I didn't even have to change any wheel weights

On the rear its a direct fit - but on the front axle the mod requires a bit more work
The inner boss is to narrow to fit over the bearing hub, and the 5 bolts on the hub take up too much place, so I had to grind some of the material off
This is the wheel before

And this is after

And heres the tool I used

In total it took about 2 hours - but what a different bus :D
Before

and after :D :D

They have been on the bus for half a year now, and they have done approx. 15000 miles and I can tell you that they run absolutely perfect, so there's no reason to fear an alloy mod with hand tools :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this will help someone :D
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits