*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Comression Pressure

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Comression Pressure

Postby Illi1981 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello everyone, does anyone of you have data on the optimal compression of the 86 hp diesel? I want to measure the compression, because the engine has no power. Greetings from Germany !!
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Comression Pressure

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:43 pm

It starts and runs but has no power under load?
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Illi1981 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 pm

The engine always had performance problems. We have already renewed everything possible turbo agr, etc.
Two weeks ago he only ran on two cylinders. He has white smoke and he takes only very little gas.
The workshop says that the epic is in order.
The red light does not burn. I want to check the compression now. The intake manifold is dirty.
The fuel injectors were checked before the big problem.
The fuel injectors are in order. I will check it again anyway. I suspect that the cylinder head gasket is broken. Two cylinders next to each other do not run.
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Nominal compression pressure (cranking speed) is 33,8 bars.
Practically 26-28 bar is stiil ok for good engine performance and cold start after winter night.
It is also just important difference in compression pressure between cylinders, it should be no more than 2 bars. Aligned pressure between cylinder telling us, that engine is not broken, if is low in all cylinders - engine is only little bit worn-out.

Did you check engine valves clarance?
Did you check static injection timing using correct pins?
Are the injectors checked for opening pressure?
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Illi1981 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Thank you for the great information! The injectors were at about 250. We tested them before the problem. The seals were broken, partly broken. We cleaned, tested and installed new gaskets. I will check it again to be sure. The valves are set correctly. I think you mean the tax time? We want to check that too. If there is time, then a friend comes to me. He is a mechanic and knows well. We will first check the compression and then let's see how it goes on. I hope the engine is not broken. He has now run 106,000 Miles. We can now work exactly with your data :-)
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 am

Correct pins (diameters) - for crankshaft (fly wheel) 13mm, camshaft wheel 8 mm, pomp - two diameters 9 / 5 mm. (9 mm in pomp shaft flange, 5 mm in pomp body).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening pressure for injectors 250 bars looks good, but important are differences between injectors, correct tolerance is not big (about +/- 4.5 bar). Rotation pomp works as balanced, if differences between injectors are too big, engine "limping" on idle, doesn't work on one or two cylinders. On higher speed is better.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Illi1981 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:19 pm

I can only say thanks for the help :-) I have the original Epic Workbook and even in German. Because of the low tolerance, I have the injectors checked in a diesel company. I want to be 100% sure. In a week on Saturday we go. Because of your information I know now more and more. I'll report further. Many Greetings from Baltic Sea :-)
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Illi1981 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Hello everyone, the cylinder head is dismounted. And we found something ... completely destroyed .... on these cylinders 0 bar, otherwise almost 30 bar. I order now new parts and the cylinder head is ground and cleaned. He will be checked if everything is okay .. Greetings from Germany :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Illi1981 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Unfortunately, the cylinder head has two cracks and the cylinder liner too. I now get a replacement engine in the next few days. The injectors had between 220-230 after a professional test. That was probably too low all the time. I hope that everything goes well again. Greetings from the baltic sea
Illi1981
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits