*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bosch replacement pump not starting

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Bosch replacement pump not starting

Postby Transittim » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 am

I have just swapped to a Bosch 045 for one of dieselhead123's custom turbopumps that developed a leak and was showing metal filings on the stop plunger but so far haven't got it to turn over, have cracked the pipe at the injectors and they all spat out some diesel so it appears that diesel is getting to the injectors, but it's not turning over for some reason. I don't think I advanced the timing ( as the pins all lined up) and so suspect this might be the issue but from what I have read people were getting it to start, just not as much power when they didn't advance it properly. So what else should I do/check before I go pulling it all apart again in order to advance the timing a bit?

edit 2.5TD from Australia if that helps was running fine with the old pump just leaking at the rate of about 4 drops/second and taking about 15sec of cranking to kick over.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Bosch replacement pump not starting

Postby Chug » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 am

If its a known working pump and the timing pins all line up then its probably air in the system, I always use an electric pump to fill the pump and make sure all the air is out of the pump bleed screw, then they usually fire up.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transittim » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks, what's the best way to bleed the system institute
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:56 am

There should be a definite spurt of diesel when you bleed the injectors, not just a dribble.
Do you hear the cut off valve click when you switch the "ignition" on and off?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transittim » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:38 am

So I bled the pump through the bolt in the middle at the back then checked at the injectors by undoing the high pressure line there and it was spurting out, then did it mostly back up until the stuff coming out of the joint wasn't bubbly but still doesn't seem to want to kick, do I need to check actually coming out of the injector as well? Any other hints or tips? Is it worthwhile trying to advance the timing?

I am running out of ideas
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 am

Transittim wrote:Thanks, what's the best way to bleed the system institute

On photo is shown stub-pipe for bleeding (red arrow), open it little bit (handle with care) and turn engine as long as fuel leaks out amply. Than close stub pipe, open randomly two high pressure pipes on injectors, and again turn engine.
After few seconds engine should try answer, than close pipes and turn more, untill engine will start working by itself.

If not - try use self-start spray (I don't know English name), for this are necessary two persons, first begin turn engine, second use spray in small but frequent doses. After 10 -15 seconds engine should work itself.

In same later pomps Bosch VE are not stub-pipe for bleeding - in this case you can only open high pressure pipes on injectors and turn engine long time. At that time it is a pity using start motor and battery, for long turning use safety self-start spray.

Transittim wrote: Is it worthwhile trying to advance the timing?

No, no, most important thing - no air in high pressure section.

Are you shure is Bosch pomp ok?

Last edited by wojciech on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vanfox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:30 am

As previously posted......do you hear the stop valve click when switching the ignition on and off........
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transittim » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 am

vanfox wrote:As previously posted......do you hear the stop valve click when switching the ignition on and off........

Yep, sorry, forgot to directly respond to that, I recently replaced the stop plunger on the previous pump so used that new one again.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am

wojciech wrote:

On photo is shown stub-pipe for bleeding (red arrow), open it little bit (handle with care) and turn engine as long as fuel leaks out amply. Than close stub pipe, open randomly two high pressure pipes on injectors, and again turn engine.
After few seconds engine should try answer, than close pipes and turn more, untill engine will start working by itself.

If not - try use self-start spray (I don't know English name), for this are necessary two persons, first begin turn engine, second use spray in small but frequent doses. After 10 -15 seconds engine should work itself.

In same later pomps Bosch VE are not stub-pipe for bleeding - in this case you can only open high pressure pipes on injectors and turn engine long time. At that time it is a pity using start motor and battery, for long turning use safety self-start spray.

Transittim wrote: Is it worthwhile trying to advance the timing?

No, no, most important thing - no air in high pressure section.

Are you shure is Bosch pomp ok?

Thanks! I'll give that a try, I tried with some starting fluid (called "start ya b*stard" here and kept it running for a minute or two with short regular sprays hoping to draw it through but stopped when I stopped spraying.

The pump I was told came out of a running Van, I don't have any reason to believe he wasn't telling the truth but didn't see it with my own eyes.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:25 pm

I understand you turned Lucas EPIC pomp for Bosch? Did you take also high pressure pipes for Bosch pomp? Bosch has different order of connections pipes to injectors - so you must use Bosch pipes.

Second thing - check static injection timing. For Bosch it is same as for Lucas Epic.

wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby V184 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Take the inlet fuel pipe off and fill the pump, keep turning it over by hand and adding fuel, the pump holds a fair amount
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby vanfox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Yes, but...........have you heard the stop valve CLICK?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transittim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am

vanfox wrote:Yes, but...........have you heard the stop valve CLICK?

Yes it's clicking.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:40 am

Do you have lift pump?

To use easy start single handed attach a piece of wire to the starter trigger terminal, select neutral, switch on the ignition, listen for the click then whilst holding the easystart in one hand, touch the other end of the piece of wire on the battery positive. The starter will turn whilst you spray easystart into whichever orifice you choose.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transittim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 am

wojciech wrote:I understand you turned Lucas EPIC pomp for Bosch? Did you take also high pressure pipes for Bosch pomp? Bosch has different order of connections pipes to injectors - so you must use Bosch pipes.

Second thing - check static injection timing. For Bosch it is same as for Lucas Epic.

Epic to bosch was done on the previous pump swap and that ran OK for a couple of years, this swap has been Bosch to Bosch so the injector pipes were swapped out last time. The timing pins all lined up when I did the pump and did a couple of rotations by hand to make sure.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits