*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New engine recommendations to go in mk3

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

New engine recommendations to go in mk3

Postby LifeinTransit » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Killed my engine driving back home from Wales to Surrey on Thurs.

New thermostat from Ford and temp was rising past halfway (laser temp reader showed temp around 95 degrees)
So pulled over and removed stat. Carried on with my journey and lost power on motorway. Pulled over, engine seized and bone dry of coolant.
Not sure what caused this, wish I hadn't put the new stat in and had left the old one.
Had a new water pump too. Radiator could have been the issue.
No point crying about it. Engine still seized this morning and mayo in filler cap. Shame as it was a low mileage engine.

Anyway, need to find a replacement. It was drastically underpowered being a twin wheel 91 minibus converted into a camper.
What engines can go in this? Banana engine? Turbo? I'd like to put one with a Bosch pump in so I can run it on veg.
LifeinTransit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: New engine recommendations to go in mk3

Postby F111ORY » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:47 am

I run a N/A Di with Bosch pump and turbo on my Mk3 lwb camper, it gives me all the power and torque I need.

Removing the thermostat will make you engine overheat as when hot the second plate on the thermostat blocks the bypass hose. Without t6he bypass blocked little hot water will reach the radiator!
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby twin wheel camper » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 am

LifeinTransit wrote:Killed my engine driving back home from Wales to Surrey on Thurs.

New thermostat from Ford and temp was rising past halfway (laser temp reader showed temp around 95 degrees)
So pulled over and removed stat. Carried on with my journey and lost power on motorway. Pulled over, engine seized and bone dry of coolant.
Not sure what caused this, wish I hadn't put the new stat in and had left the old one.
Had a new water pump too. Radiator could have been the issue.
No point crying about it. Engine still seized this morning and mayo in filler cap. Shame as it was a low mileage engine.

Anyway, need to find a replacement. It was drastically underpowered being a twin wheel 91 minibus converted into a camper.
What engines can go in this? Banana engine? Turbo? I'd like to put one with a Bosch pump in so I can run it on veg.

Sounds to me that you had a air lock in your water system that was causing the engine to run hot then by removing the stat you as said above made the problem worse :(
I run a transit di engine driven power washer and what I done was I drilled 4-6 holes in the bigger plate so the water would be circulating all the time and that was 3 years ago and no problems since :) but this would not be a good idea for a van unless you lived in a really hot climate because you would have no heater but with mine it isn’t a issue.
I would be looking for a late 90,s 2.5 di turbo and fit a Bosch pump from a late model non turbo and you will be very happy camper :D
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cherniy_chack » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Any engine manufactured in 1986 ... 2000 is suitable for replacement.
In the Russian-speaking segment of the Internet, a motor without attachments and collectors is called a “column”.
If you do not plan on installing a turbo-supercharger on a motor, then a "column" of any atmospheric engine will do, if you plan to install a turbo-supercharger, both a "column" of atmospheric and a "column" of turbo will do.
But you will need to buy the missing equipment: air cleaner, air hoses, intake and exhaust manifolds, a turbocharger and exhaust exhaust pipe.
Any "column" needs to be mounted on those paws and on those pillows on which the motor is now installed.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby blizard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 am

Our MK3 campervan had an enginechange with a TD of 2000. Had only the enginemounts swapped. (and converted to Bosch)
Afterwards I replaced only the manifolt, witch was a great improvement.
I emailed an ebay member who had lots of engines, he swapped it for a grand, including the gearbox 5 years ago.
it went great, still very happy with it.
Transit MK3 1987
Chausson Motorhome
Engine 2.5TD of 2000 (last production year of the DI, I'm told)
Gearbox MT75
blizard
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andygee1138 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I second the Bosch pumped 2.5DI. Put a '95 engine in my '89 camper when a con rod made a break for freedom and it was transformed. Turned the pump up 1.5 turns and I get 80+mph indicated, cruises at 65-70 easily, rarely goes above 80 deg C, no oil leaks.
Shame it snapped the cambelt on Xmas day but hey-ho...
andygee1138
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits