*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Brake problem MK5

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Brake problem MK5

Postby therigsmith » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm

My Bearing went in a front wheel. in haste I removed the brake maybe improperly and since I have these problems.

1: Losing break oil. Not sure where it goes, gets topped up brakes work better for a bit.
2: Noise when pressing brakes like air in the system.

Is it leaking oil or going somewhere inside the pump or something.

Please help. Topping it up now and it seems to not be braking well anymore at all.
therigsmith
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Brake problem MK5

Postby Brendon Cording » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:18 am

Hi so did you remove brake caliper to fix wheel bearing? If so, did you have to bleed brakes after bearing repair? If so, alot of problems can arise if bled. Most people do full strokes of the pedal without pressure, and due to the age of master cylinder, alot of crud and crap builds up in the end of cylinder and a full stroke of the pedal with no pressure in system will send master cylinder piston seal into this area where it can tear or pinch the seal causing no pressure at all and/or leaking. I always do small strokes untill alittle bit of pressure is built up in the system. So maybe undoing the bolts that bolt master cyl to booster and pull it away a little bit to see if its wet. If dry, then I would be looking at rear wheel cylinders next as long as you cant see obvious leaks at joins of hoses, caliper etc. Also the air noise when pressing pedal would surely be the vacumn of the booster assisting. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Brendon
1997 Ford Transit 2.5T Camper
1999 Ford Falcon AU Burnout Hobby Car
2002 Ford Falcon AU Wagon, Tow Car
2006 Mazda Atenza Wagon, Daily Driver
Brendon Cording
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Brake problem MK5

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:04 pm

If it needs topping up then the fluid is leaving the system.So there must be a tell tale damp patch somewhere.

Check the area you were working on first then try futher away.

inspect the rear axle back plates as said :idea:
rear cylinders have a habit of failing with no warning.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits