*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EPIC Problems MK 5 TD again....

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

EPIC Problems MK 5 TD again....

Postby matthias » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 am

Hi,

know that this topic is not new and I know of many discussions here in this group.

But please let me ask to decide best in my situation:

The story so far:

After successfull reapir of my leaking EPIC pump (the typical "square seal" problem) in my 1997 85 PS TD (380000 km-280000 mls)) it was not to long that I got problems with the limp mode I did some reading here and elswhere, tried some things and a few garages , but never found one with a suitable or working (all defective for different reasons) tester (Ford or Laser 2000).
I would like to keep the EPIC running but I don`t see to many chances without any further or other problems, which may come, so I`m now thinking to give up.
It will be a shame because the car was very economic.

I also have another 85 PS Turbo (about 150000 mls) from the same year 1997, but that is also in limp mode, so another problem.

And I have a 1995 LWB High Cube with the 76 PS Banana-engine, low mileage (under 100000), but carbody in really bad condition.

I`m now thinking of the following:

Transfer the Bosch inj. pump of the Banana to my Turbo, as some did already so, but don`t know if there are to many problems with such a conversion (as I read), at least it will not be a perfect solution (?).

Or latest idea:
Complete swap of the Banana engine to my Turbo, if there are not to many things which will need modifications. Then I`ll keep a well working unit together.
Mods which I can imagine at the moment are: Throttle padal from electronics to cable (Will it fit from the 95 car to the 97 car?), Exhaust manifold and downpipe, some electrics to be modified (EPIC wiring out of any use, right?).... Anything else?
Gearbox should be the same, so I can stay with the original one or ? (All my Transits are 5 spd.)

The bad thing of the latter will make my 95 car incomplete and no longer driveable

Any thought`s about all that?

Thank you!

Matthias
matthias
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: EPIC Problems MK 5 TD again....

Postby Chug » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 am

Fitting the Bosch pump to your turbo engine is the easiest solution, you will need the throttle pedal and cable from the bosch donor van, the pump timing will need to be advanced a little and the max fuel increasing, lots on here have done it and there are plenty of posts about it.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby matthias » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi,

yes, I know many of these, also yours, but found a few reports of minor or major problems, that`s the reason for my questions.

Thanks,

Matthias
matthias
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby camper-man » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:17 am

matthias wrote:Hi,

yes, I know many of these, also yours, but found a few reports of minor or major problems, that`s the reason for my questions.

Thanks,

Matthias

I have sent you a pm
camper-man
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits